seven

SEVEN

ALLIANCES

ALLIANCES

The following morning Talia awoke early, she had a long day of training ahead of her and she wanted to be ready for it. She showers and changed into the uniform left for her- black leggings, a black shirt with blue trim, the number 4 on the back and a pair of black boots. She pulls her hair into a ponytail, whisps falling out to frame her face and she looks out the window a the world beyond, the Capitol was a beautiful place, she couldn't deny it, but she knew that it was also the most toxic place in Panem, the people here had no idea of the hardships the Districts felt, and she knew that those same people were manipulated by the illusions their president put forward to them.

She presses the control panel offered to her and the scenery changes, a forest filled with green and brown, she flicks up again, a snow covered mountain peak, she flicks it again and there in front of her is a beach, the sea stretching out behind it. She sits down on the edge of her bed and stares longingly at the beautiful view, it looked just like home. Talia's eyes are only drawn away from the projection when she hears a knock at the door, she clicks the panel and the scene disappears. She opens her bedroom door and finds Coral.

"Morning Talia, breakfast is out here," She says softly, a small smile on her lips.

"Great," Talia says, stepping out and closing the door behind her, she walks up to the dining area and sees Finnick sat there already eating, she sits beside him as usual and turns to look at him, "Any advice for today?"

"Make friends," Finnick says, glancing up from his meal, "And what I told you last night,"

Talia nods, "Any one in particular you have your eye on?"

"District 6, or District 1, but District 1 are always hard work- because they're always such desireable allies their mentors recommend they be cold and cautious, and all tributes struggle to become allies with them, apart from District 2," Finnick says, "I don't mind who you chose, if anyone, but just don't let them see any weakness in you,"

"Is it safe to go it alone?" Talia asks, careful to be quiet, there was something about Coral she didn't trust, and even though she was across the room knocking Ethan's door, she might still be able to hear them.

"Yes, if you learn the right skills and are prepared to face other groups- if you place it safe, you might never have to face groups, you might be able to survive till the final few without much contact with others," Finnick replies, watching as an Avox loads up Talia's plate with food.

"What do you think of Ethan?" Talia asks, whispering this time.

Finnick shakes his head, "Never trust someone from your own District,"

"Thats stupid, surely he should be the only one I can trust?"

"No, not here, not in these games, Talia, he's more likely than any of those other tributes to betray you, he knows more about you than they ever will, even if its a small amount- he knows your family, he knows your house, he knows you, and thats the most dangerous thing in these games," He says and Talia gulps back the lump in her throat.

"Got it," She says, turning to eat her food as Coral and Ethan finally appear. They all eat in silence, and before they know it, its time for the tributes to head for the training centre.

"Keep calm, and relax, they might be just like you, but remember why you're here, you're here to kill them and win," Coral says as they stand by the elevator.

"Good luck, and train hard," Finnick says, stepping back, he nods to Talia just as the doors close.

Its a short trip to the training centre in the elevator and when they arrive they see everyone else gathered in front of the people who ran the training. Talia looks up at the gamemakers sitting in their booth, watching the tributes below. Talia catches the eyes of the Head Gamemaker and she can't help but glare at him as she joins the rest of the group. Most of the tributes were older this year, the youngest tribute was the district 12 male who was 13. A talk from the leader of the training happens before the tributes are allowed to separate, Talia immediately finds herself at the survivialist stations- camouflage, edible insects and plants, fire starting, shelter-making and fish hook making. The careers head immediately for the weapons, and Ethan does too, finding his hands filled with an axe. Talia sits down and listens to the instructors words on how to effectively camouflage into her surroundings. She practices painting her arms like trees and the instructor commends her for her talent, afterwards she joins the District 5 female, who she learns is named Florence, but prefers to be called Flo. They sit together at the fire starting station and Talia asks her what her talents are. Flo lets her skills at knives slip quickly and Talia finds it strange that she's trusted her so quickly.

Afterwards, Talia finds herself wondering around, scanning everyone else, she sees Ethan laughing with the district 1 and district 2 tributes and she can't help but feel a little sick when she hears her name fall out of Ethan's mouth and then the District 1 male glances over at her.

"She looks weak," He says, making sure he says it loud enough for her to hear as she walks by, heading for the fish hook stand. She makes sure her back is to them as she begins making the hooks. She feels someone watching her, but she doesn't look up until she's done and her eyes meet those of the District 12 male, the youngest tribute. He's watching her with awe, totally entranced.

"Could...Could you teach me?" He asks and Talia nods, and starts a separate hook, talking him through each step until after a short while he can make a basic hook.

"Its not too hard," She says, noticing how much he reminds her of Freddy- curly mop of brown hair and those hopeful blue eyes.

"Thank you...You're called Talia, right?" He asks and she nods, "I'm Archer,"

"Nice name," She says, "Do you want to come with me to the knife station?"

"Okay," He nods, following her over to the knife throwing station where the District 6 tributes are already practicing.

Talia avoids making eye contact with the male as she waits, turning her back to them and looking at Archer.

"Oh, its you," The voice is smooth and silky and as Talia turns to see the person who the voice belongs to she raises an eyebrow.

"Should I know you?" She asks and he and the female tribute laugh.

"I'm Darius Reed," He says, "And this is Bailey Ellis,"

"Talia Riverthorn," The girl says, holding her head up high, Darius and Bailey were both taller than her.

"Who's this? He doesn't look like your fellow tribute," Darius asks, gesturing to Archer.

"Archer Samuels, District 12," The boy says, nodding.

"Interesting," Darius says, glancing at Talia, he could already see she was protective of the boy.

Just as Talia is about to speak the alarm for lunch time sounds and Talia walks alongside Archer to the lunch room where people take their seats with those they might want to form an alliance with, so Talia stays close with Archer, and she watches Ethan laugh alongside the Careers, and she can't help but remember what Finnick had told her.