thirteen

THIRTEEN

COLD AS ICE

COLD AS ICE

Finnick Odair watched every second he could of the games, he wanted Talia to be safe, and more importantly, he wanted her to win. Every mentor wanted their tribute to win, and Finnick was no exception. Today, was a very different day, when he had stirred from his bed in the city he had a message requesting him to join President Snow himself for lunch that day. Finnick dressed in his best and headed out of his Capitol apartment and walked the streets, everyone was watching the games, whether that be in their homes, on their portable TVs or on the big screens plastered around the city for public watching.

Finnick was stopped numerous times on the street, people offering him incentives to be their bedwarmer that evening or to join them for dinner. He refused all offers, he knew that he could win sponsors for Talia out of such offers, but right now he had to see what the President wanted with him.

He arrived at Snow's manor, the guards escorting Finnick to Snow's main study- after all, he had many. Inside, the guards left Finnick alone, and Snow waited until the doors were closed before turning his chair to face Finnick.

"Welcome to my home," Snow says, beard and hair the colour his surname would suggest.

"Thank you for having me, President Snow," Finnick says and Snow gestures for him to sit, so Finnick does. Once seated the nerves seemed to trickle in all at once, his eyes shifting along the desk, looking for any indication of why he may be here.

"I understand you're probably confused about my invite," He says and Finnick nods, eyes lifting to meet Snow's.

"I understand that you have mentored this years female," Snow says, and Finnick nods again, a lump forming in his throat. Snow presses a button his desk and a holographic image taken from the previous night's hunger games showing is pulled up, Finnick hadn't seen this clip aired.

It shows Ethan Bomer suggesting that Finnick and Talia had slept together since arriving in the Capitol. Finnick was speechless, he had no idea of how to react, so he just looked at the President and waited for him to go first.

"This," He gestures to the screen with his gloved hand, "Is disgraceful,"

"I haven't done what Ethan is suggesting, me and Talia...I'm just her mentor," Finnick says and Snow presses the pad again and Talia's interview with Caesar Flickerman plays.

Finnick watches as Talia's words echo from the hologram, "The odds are never in our favour,"

"This girl...She seems different, so willing to speak out of term," Snow says, eyes glistening as he turns his chair to look out the large windows that gave him the view of his rose gardens, "What I will not tolerate from tributes, especially those who look likely to become Victors, is rebellious chatter,"

"She meant no harm, President Snow," Finnick defends, he had seen the horrors that awaited some tributes after they escaped the games, witnessed them first hand. After all, if he didn't whore himself out like the man before him forced him to, all his loved ones would be dead, and if Talia came out on the other side, she'd most likely be added to that list.

"If she gets out of the arena, I want you to keep her mouth in check," Snow orders, "Make her one of the Capitol's most precious Victors if you must, Finnick, or else she'll pay the price for that sharp tongue of hers...Perhaps I'll cut it out,"

"I understand," Finnick says, nodding, "Talia Riverthorn will never speak like that again, and as for what Ethan is saying...Talia is...She's just another tribute I wish to make a Victor, Mr President,"

Snow searches his face for a lie, but finds no inclining of one- what he didn't realise was that Finnick had gotten very used to lying.

"Very well, you may leave," Snow dismisses, turning his chair back to look out of the window.

"Thank you, President Snow," Finnick says before stalking out of the room before Snow can pin anything else on him.

The guards escort Finnick out of the manor and before knows it, he's back on the streets of the Capitol, and as he makes his way to one of the public Hunger Games screens, he passes by an old acquaintance, someone he once gave his body to in return for secrets.

"Hanea," Finnick says, and the woman's eyes flicker to meet his.

"Finnick, darling, its been so long!" She says, forcing him into a hug, "I see your tribute is fairing well so far,"

"Thats what I wanted to talk to you about," Finnick says and Hanea's pink eyebrows raise.

"You want me to sponsor her?"

"I want to get her a better weapon than that knife- something she can use," Finnick says and Hanea glances to the screen, a live clip of Talia and Archer filling their waterbottles at the river, was playing.

"What will you give me in return?" She asks, hands resting on her much too skinny waist.

"Anything you please," He says.

"Even your body? I thought you only accepted secrets for that kind of thing?" She questions and Finnick looks up as Talia's face comes into full view.

"This is much, much more important than secrets," He breathes and Hanea smiles widely, perfect white teeth showing.

"Very well, Finnick, your body for the whole night and in the morning I will gift you the money to get her the trident," She holds out her hand, "Deal?"

Finnick looks at the screen and back, he places his hand firmly in Hanea's and shakes it, "Deal,"

_______________

here we go lads, honestly love these Finnick focused chapters so much because his history in the Capitol and the things Snow made him do have always fascinated me, and i really wanted to incorporate it into the story- and i thought what better way than to make it so Finnick wants to gain sponsors

thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed!

~lachys-loch
❤️