fifty seven

FIFTY SEVEN

THE TUNNELS

THE TUNNELS

Bobby, Jamie, Finnick and Talia were the only members of Squad 589 left. They had spent the night in the abandoned Capitol apartment, taking it in turns to sit at the window and keep an eye on the street below. Talia and Finnick, when they both had the chance to sleep, had curled up against each other on the sofa, holding each other close. Finnick's head was still thundering, but Jamie had found painkillers in the bathroom, so Finnick had taken some of those. Jamie was the only member unscathed physically by the events of the day. Though, his mind flashed with images of the dead when he closed his eyes. He didn't sleep well, none of them did.

"We ready?" Jamie asks, he had the holo in his hands, the map of the rest of the way was lit up.

"I don't think we should be on the streets," Bobby says, "I get that you want to get to Snow, but Katniss is dead. Peeta is dead. Their team is dead, and they had better soldiers than we did,"

Talia considers his words. He wasn't wrong. "Is there another way in? Bobby, you've been scanning with your tablet daily, did you see any alternate pathways?"

"Theres sewers, they run all the way through the Capitol, the holo doesn't track underground, and my tablet was destroyed in the explosions...We could go down there and use a compass, but we wouldn't have much else," Bobby explains. Talia looks to Finnick.

"What do you think?" She asks.

Finnick looks at Bobby and then at Jamie. Jamie was planning a route by foot above ground using the holo.

"I think that you should be in charge," Finnick says, his voice was sharp. Tension filled the air. Jamie met Finnick's eyes and then he looks to Talia and back.

"She gave me the holo," Jamie says, voice calm.

"Her name is Talia," Finnick says, "And she is the Pearl of Panem. Give her the damn holo,"

Jamie's grip on the device tightens for a moment, as if Finnick might snatch it from his hands. Finnick was acting strange, but Talia understood. He wanted to protect her, he wanted her to be in charge. Jamie holds out the device. Talia takes it between her hands and looks at the map.

"I think its too dangerous to travel above ground with so many injuries, what with Bobby's leg and my ankle,  we're pretty much dead people walking," Talia frowns, "Bobby, do you know where we could get access to the sewers?"

"There are manholes on the roads, they lead straight down," Bobby says, "I reckon some may be hiding pods though, so we have to be careful,"

Talia nods, she looks at Jamie, "Will you take point?"

Jamie nods. He stands up and slings the sniper rifle over his back. Finnick collects his backpack and then helps Bobby stand. "Think you can walk?"