twelve

TWELVE

A FRIEND

A FRIEND

Talia shifted awake, she jumped, her eyes adjusting to the world around her, immediately she feels the cold, her tree offered no warm and she's been warned by Finnick in her mentoring not to start a fire as the smoke would practically be an invitation for come and kill her.

She folded her arms, hugging herself as she looked at the ground below, her backpack stuffed behind her and her knife slotted onto her belt. She couldn't see much in the darkness of the night, but she could see that any footprints she'd have left in the snow were now gone, more snow had since fallen.

Just as she begins to settle back down she hears a scream, followed by the boom of the cannon, and she sits bolt upright, the rope around her waist holds her tight to the tree and she looks around as best she can, and then she sees it, not too far away the glowing ambers of a fire, 5 people surround it- they must have killed whoever had settled there and just by the outlining of his figure, she knows Ethan is one of them. Only 11 other tributes now.

She watches as they set up camp, sharing the food from their backpacks, and Talia listens as best she can to the conversation- strategy for the following day mostly, their plan is to double back to the cornucopia and ensure that they gather everything they can before they head for the mountain.

Talia wonders why on earth they would wish to venture up the mountain, but as she thought about it, it did make sense- caves would offer a much safer haven than any forrest could, and if they had high ground, people were less likely to venture to find them. The careers were in this for the long run.

As Talia listened she learned their names, District 1's male and female were named Marcus and Diamond and District 2's male and female were named Mason and Samantha. They spoke of little else other than who they wanted to individually kill, she heard Darius's name on Ethan's lips, and poor little Archer's name on Marcus's, which meant he wasn't involved in the blood bath, and that made Talia relieved.

"What about the girl from your district?" Diamond asks Ethan as he bites into some beef jerky he must have found in his backpack.

"Talia? I want her to myself," Ethan says and the words made Talia's blood run cold.

"Whats your problem with her?" Samantha questions, looking through the flames to Ethan opposite her.

"She thinks she's something special, she thinks Finnick Odair is the world," Ethan spits and Talia's eyes narrow, he had no idea.

"Did they...Have a thing?" Diamond asks, "He's so handsome,"

"Probably," Ethan says, rolling his eyes, "He often went into her room with her- who knows what they got up to,"