twenty three

TWENTY THREE

ALL OVER AGAIN

ALL OVER AGAIN

smut warning.

The two months leading up to the Reaping forced an eerie settlement over District 4, and apparently, across all the Districts. Finnick had been teaching Talia, Annie and Mags things about the other Victor's as well as remastering key skills that they might have lost since their time in the games. Talia only wondered why Finnick had kept his skills sharp- something to do with living in the Capitol Mags had written down on a piece of paper after Talia asked.

The rising tension across the District was only made worse when new squadrons of Peace Keepers emerged, and curfews were placed over the District, tighter rules were put in place and people were punished much more harshly. According to Finnick, this was happening across all the District's except 1 and 2- the most loyal to the Capitol.

There was a period of time when Finnick and Talia became more and more certain that they would be reaped, Talia especially. And that was when Finnick asked Mags to volunteer for her or Annie if their names were picked. Talia protested, arguing that it should be her, but Finnick said no, that it wasn't going to be like that. Finnick had no one to volunteer for and no one to volunteer for him, most of the other Victor's were much older and tended to stay isolated, unwanting of Finnick's help.

There was a month left before the Reaping when Talia found herself alone with Finnick in his home. Mags and Annie had left an hour ago and the two of them had been talking about their love for their District since then. Talia's tea had gone cold and she didn't argue when Finnick said he'd make her a fresh one. She waited patiently for a about a minute, before getting up and examining the things in the living room, photos of people she'd never seen before, old paintings of the District, old fishing hooks on display shelves and spyglasses once used by the fishermen of the District.

Her feet carried her to the hall and she kept looking at the photos, the drawings, the sculptures. Before she knew it, she was upstairs, curiously examining Finnick's artistically decorated home. She almost walks past a particular photo, but out the corner of her eye she catches it. And she turns her head and sees it hanging amongst a collection of others. Talia walks over and she looks closely at the photo. Her eyes scan it before glancing over the others. The photo in the centre was the only one of colour.

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know,"

She nearly jumps out her skin, she turns quickly and sees Finnick holding two cups of tea behind her, a small smile on his face.

"You have a photo of us,"

"I do indeed," He says, walking forwards and handing Talia her cup of tea.

"Why?" She asks.

"I like the photo,"

"I mean...I mean why is it the only one in colour?"

"Aesthetic," He says, his voice as blunt as the words he spoke.

"I see," She says, sipping on the too hot tea, her cheeks flushed as she felt his eyes scanning her.

"Okay, its because all the others are dead," Finnick says, "Photos of me and my family, my other tributes, my friends,"

"Oh," Talia whispers.

"And then the photo of you and I, Little Bird, is like a burst of colour in a sea of plain grey," He says, "As cliche and awful as it sounds,"

"I...I appreciate it," She says softly.

"I don't want to lose you in these games...Promise me...Promise me you'll let Mags take your place, promise me that if Mags or Annie are drawn you will not take their place," Finnick says, his voice stern.

Her head turns to look at him properly, to see the pain on his face.

"I promise," She says, nodding slightly, he simply wanted her safe.

"Thank you," He says, theres a short pause, a moment for them both to gulp their drinks, "Would you like to see any of the other rooms?"

"Show me yours," She says and he nods, gesturing to the room behind her.

She opens the door and inside is a simple but beautiful room. She places her cup of tea on the chest of drawers to the right of the door and she examines the things in his room. Talia walks right over to a bookshelf while Finnick places his cup down too, he gently closes the door and walks towards her, as she examines a collection of pearls lined up in the shape of a necklace, he places a hand on her waist. Talia shivers at the contact.

"Who're the pearls for?" She asks, her voice hitched.

"They were going to be a surprise for you, once I got a few more to complete it, but apparently not anymore," He whispers.

She looks up at him and stands on her tip toes, making their lips meet in a soft kiss, one they hadn't shared since that day a year ago, just before the 74th Games. Her hand shifts under his shirt and over his hip, fingertips dancing along his abs and up, his shirt lifts and he takes the chance to pull it off, dumping it on the floor. He places his hands behind her thighs and lifts, her legs wrap round his waist as he pushes her back against the wall, avoiding the delicate bookcase. She lets out a low moan as he kisses her neck, her hands in his hair as he moves to pull off her jumper.

He lifts her again and places her on the bed, another kiss to her lips follows and she smiles softly at him when his lips move down her neck and across her chest, he undoes her bra and drops it to the floor, kissing gently over her breasts and further down. Her trousers are tugged off and Finnick takes the opportunity to lose his trousers. His mouth finds her sweet spot as soon as her panties are off and she moans softly, fingers in his bronze hair. He holds her hips as he works, his tongue teasing her.

"Finnick," She whispers, it only makes him work faster. Before she knows it, her legs are shaking, his fingers gripping her waist as she moans against his pillows, her body overriding with pleasure. She meets her high and as he moves away he pulls off his boxers and presses a kiss against her lips.

"I've never...I've never done this," She breathes, her voice raised, she was still coming down from her high.

"Its okay," He says, "I'll be gentle and if its too much, just tell me to stop,"

She nods, kissing him again as he slowly moves into her, a kiss against her neck as she lets out a soft moan. Her hands run over his shoulders and her nails dig into his back as he works his way up to a steady pace. The two of them spend the night enjoying each others bodies, their tea long since gone cold by the time they settle down to sleep. For once, Finnick was able to enjoy the person he was sleeping with rather than be concerned about what payment he'd receive and how much longer he would be forced to be the Capitol's play thing. And as Talia lay in his arms fast asleep, he prayed she would not be picked to face these games, he prayed she would keep her promise.

But in Talia's dream that night, she broke his promise. And it wouldn't be long before that dream would become a reality.