verse forty-seven

Behind Lucas are Steve, Audrey, Margot, and Dave; all looking at me.

Lucas has changed; he has a light stubble, and his brown hair is a little shorter than I remember. He smiles. "What are you doing here?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"I'm dead," he laughs. A bad feeling takes over me, and suddenly all of this is too much for me. I did expect him to end up here, but no so soon.

"Angelina, I never thought to see you here. Knowing you, I thought you'd end up in Heaven..."

His voice falters, and I stumble backward. Damon wraps his arm around my waist. "What's going on?" he asks and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. I swallow and look back at Lucas who's looking at Damon with a frown.

"Isn't that the Devil?" I see his lips ask Audrey. She nods, and he grows more confused.

"I'm taking her outside," Damon says, and immediately they all step aside for him. Lucas keeps looking at me. "Angelina," he says. My eyes meet Margot's, who's looking at me with sad eyes.

"You knew," I whisper before Damon guides me outside.

"Who was that?" Damon asks once we're outside. I take a deep breath. "My ex," I answer. He clenches his jaw.

"Your ex?" he asks. I nod.

I'm so confused, I don't know what to think. Damon glances at something behind me and puts his hand on my cheek. "What are you...?"

He presses his lips on mine. I part my lips in surprise, and he takes advantage of it. His tongue slips in, slowly rubbing against mine. I instantly melt against him and kiss him back. His hand slides down, and I allow him to rest his hand on my behind.

A throat is cleared, making us break apart from our kiss.

"Angelina?" Lucas' voice asks from behind me. I blush a deep red and look up at Damon. He has a knowing look on his face, which makes me scowl at him.

Slowly, I turn around and see Lucas standing behind us. "Hey," I say, forcing a smile. He bites his lip. "Eh, I came to talk."

I don't want to talk.

Damon sees that. "Angel's not in the mood. Now go," he snaps at him and turns back to me.

"Come, I'll take you to your room," he says, and wraps his arms around me. With a last glance at Lucas, I put my head on Damon's chest. We disappear, and we fall through that hole.

Not much later we're in Audrey's apartment. "Well," he sighs and lands on my bed. He gestures that I need to take a seat beside him, which I do. "I'm sorry," I whisper. I feel his eyes burn into my skin.

"Why?" he asks and frowns. I shrug. "For reacting this way? He's just an ex," I say, and lean against him.

"It's not your fault. I saw that you felt uncomfortable," he whispers and wipes a strand of hair away from my face. I nod and lay my head on his chest.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asks. I look up at him. "About Lucas?" I ask, and he nods. "What's there to say?" I ask. Damon shrugs.

"I don't know. How old were you when you started dating him?" he asks curiously.

"I think I was about 17," I answer. "Okay," he says, "and why did you two break up?"

He wraps his arm around my shoulders. I sigh deeply. "He cheated on me," I mumble. Damon stiffens next to me. "What?" he asks, and when I look up I see his jaw clenched. I swallow.

"Yeah... I found him in bed with another," I say, "but it's okay. I admit it hurt me a lot, but I've moved on."

He nods, but his eyes seem absent. "Why would he cheat on someone like you?" he wonders out loud. He looks back at me in the eyes. I shrug.