verse twenty-seven

While waiting against the tree, I close my eyes and sigh. Time passes, I don't know how many minutes, but suddenly, I feel a lick against my cheek.

I open my eyes and look into the golden ones from Moonlight.

"Hi," I say and sit up.

"And?"

He's straight to the point.

"I have the key," I grin.

"You're not joking, right?"

I shake my head and take the key from my pocket, showing it to him.

"We can free Hakan and Audrey."

"When we know-how," I whisper. He nods.

"Take this with you and keep it safe. Tomorrow we'll see if we can do something with it," I say, giving him the key.

He takes it between his teeth.

"I'm going home. Tomorrow I'll pick you up again."

I nod and pet him between his ears.

"See you tomorrow," I whisper and take a step away from him. Once I'm back in my room, I walk to my bedroom door and open it, to find Daphne, Steve, Margot, Evelyn, and Celine seated on the couch.

When I see Margot, I feel a pang go through my chest. I truly thought we were friends.

"Hi," I sigh. They all look in my direction, with a hopeful look in their eyes.

"Did you find her?" Daphne asks.

"Tomorrow I'm going to look for her," I tell them.

"You said yesterday that you were going to look," Celine snarls. I clench my fists.

"Well, if you want to go to his house to search for one, stupid, little key, fine by me! Because that's what I did today. I found the key to the room where she's probably staying in, so tomorrow I'll be going to that room to see if she's okay and to figure out how I'm going to free her!"

Margot is just sitting there silently, watching us all. Suddenly the feeling of being betrayed disappears, by anger.

"Margot," I snarl to her, causing her to look up.

"I hope you didn't tell him about our plan yesterday?" I ask her.

Immediately, she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," she whispers. For a moment my face softens, but then her harsh words come back rushing into my mind.

"No, you're not," I spit. Her eyes go wide.

"That you had to see what?" Steve asks with a curious tone and a frown between his eyebrows. Before Margot can say anything, I do.

"That she fucked Satan."

All heads turn to her.

"You're kidding," Celine gasps. A guilty look takes place on Margot's face, and for a moment she sends me a hateful look.

All kinds of questions are thrown her way, and she looks pretty uncomfortable. Daphne and Steve look at her with a suspicious look in their eyes, while Celine's eyes hold jealousy. Evelyn just keeps a straight face.

"So, you didn't tell him anything?" Daphne asks when they're done questioning her.

Margot shakes her head. "No, I didn't tell Satan anything."

"What didn't she tell me?"

All heads turn to the door, where the Devil himself stands, looking at us with raised eyebrows.