verse thirty-one

Still laughing about what happened with Moonlight, I walk in the apartment and spot Evelyn, Daphne, and Steve sitting on the couch. When they see me, they stand up and look at me with hopeful eyes. I'm used to those eyes already.

"I found her," I say with a big smile. They breathe out in relief, and I see tears well up in Daphne's eyes.

"How is she?" she whispers.

"She's horrible, but not dead," I say. Daphne walks up to me and hugs me. "Thank you," she whispers in my ear. I smile. We let go of each other.

"I just need to find a way to get her out," I say. Steve sighs.

"Is it that hard to get her out?" he mutters. I'm not supposed to hear it, but I do. I clench my hands into fists and swallow back my curses.

"Can we help you with something?" Daphne asks with a frown. I think for a moment.

"There is something," I say and look to the three of them.

Steve, Daphne, and I stand behind the trees, watching how Evelyn walks up to Damon's front door with swinging hips

She's dressed in a pair of really short shorts that end right under her butt and a red top which reveals too much cleavage. Her hair is ironed and her face is loaded with make-up.

Never thought Evelyn would be useful.

Her purpose is to distract Damon while I explore his house. Steve and Daphne will be looking out for me.

As soon as Evelyn disappears behind the door, we count to sixty and start sneaking over to his house.

When we arrive at the big red door, I lay my ear against it. After hearing nothing, I nod the Steve and Daphne, and as quiet as possible I open the door.

I lead us to the staircase that leads to the dungeon and turn around to face them.

"Steve, you stay here," I whisper at him. He nods, and funnily enough obeys me.

Such a strong man listening to a little Angel. I continue my way with Daphne and hold the walkie-talkie close to my chest. On the other hand, I hold the pocket knife I brought with me. When we're downstairs, I turn to Daphne.

"Remember, when you see or hear something suspicious, let me know and we'll get out of here," I whisper to her.

"Be safe," she whispers back. I smile at her.

I can manage.

I continue my way alone through the halls and pass the Destruction-door. I have to suppress the tendency to kick open the door and take Audrey with me.

"Angelina? Angelina, are you there? Let me know. Over," I hear the voice of Daphne say through the walkie-talkie. I smile.

I press the button.