Ch. 37 - Vows Broken On This Day

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die. - Joe Louis

***

December 15th

***

Max's POV

It wasn't until medics arrived that they figured out that Spencer and JJ were still alive. 

"I've never seen someone so close to death yet still alive." One of the medics had said to my father. 

The bullet had barely missed their hearts, in both of them. It had been a medical miracle...no no it had been a real-life miracle. 

So all night they were in surgery to repair the damage done by the bullet. I had spent most of the night annoying every nurse and doctor I could get my hands on. I needed answers to my hypotheticals. It was the only thing that would calm me. Derek stayed with me all night, he knew not to leave me alone. Emily was with Will, who was handling this about as well as me. Rossi and my father were with the unsub making sure he got life in prison or something close. 

"Max, it's 3 am. You should try to sleep a little bit, I promise to wake you at any news." I looked over at him and smiled. 

"Fine fine..." I laid my head back and let sleep take me. 

***

"Hey, sweetheart wake up." I opened my eyes and saw Spencer grinning over at me. 

"Mmm isn't it a little too early to be awake," I mumbled and laid my head on his chest. 

"We have a big day today, remember." He slipped out from underneath me, I turned over and placed my feet on the cool floor. 

"What's today again?" I padded over to him and wrapped my arms around him. 

"Let's go eat breakfast first." I followed him out to the kitchen, I was met with a symphony of giggles. I looked over to the living room and saw Simon and Brenna playing. 

After a filling breakfast, I placed my hand in his. He pulled my knuckles up to his mouth placing a chaste kiss. 

"Are you going to tell me what we have going on today, now?" I giggled as he placed more kisses on my knuckles. 

"You have to let me go." I paused, a chill racing down my spine. 

"Spencer?"

"You have to let us all go." The apartment filled with a sudden silence. I turned around and saw zero traces of my children. 

"Spencer stop, you are frightening me." He stood from his stool, his hand slipping from mine. 

"You have a funeral to prepare for, you have to wake up now."

"No...no Spencer you didn't die."

"Wake up, Max." 

I woke up screaming, a cold sweat covering my entire body. Derek was saying something as he looked me in the eyes but I heard nothing. 

I could hear my blood racing in my ears as it pounded through my veins. I felt a deep hole open up in my chest, ripping through every muscle and bone. 

It felt like someone had placed a black hole into my chest and sent it into a frenzy. I couldn't make sense of the pain as it took hold of me. I fell forward, a hand grasping at my chest as if I could pull it out. 

I was gasping for air around the pain, I still couldn't hear Derek as he rushed a nurse over to me. Everything was a roaring silence, I couldn't make sense of anything anymore.