Ch. 3 - Things will be okay

What happened in the past that was painful has a great deal to do with what we are today. - William Glasser

***

1 month later

***

I woke up to the sounds of my alarm, and the sun peeking right through my blinds. I stretched softly before standing. 

After the explosion on my first case, I stayed in the hospital for a few nights as they were dad's orders. I had gone right back to work as soon as I got out. We had solved 4 cases since then, but I was thankful for the day off. We were meeting up for a small party at Rossi's. The team wanted to celebrate the passing of my trial run and me passing my gun certification. I think they just wanted an excuse to drink. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to be apart of this unit. My dad was right when he said they were a family. 

Some days were harder than others with letting them in but I've made some really good improvement. 

I hopped in the shower to wash my hair and shave. It was a nice autumn day and I felt like wearing something from my 'must shave first' side of the closet. 

(I've decided to remove the image of the dress that I had in mind for this chapter. The comments kinda got to me. I am sorry to everyone who has read this chapter and hated my choice. I'm learning that people prefer to use the picture in their head rather than the one I had in mind. Thank you to everyone who has read this chapter and commented.)

I stepped out and dried my hair. I caught myself grinning and I realized I'd been doing that a lot lately. I stepped over to my closet and grabbed out my 'Sun And Moon dress' and slipped it on over my bra and underwear. I grabbed out a pair of tan lace-up sandals and put them on. I stepped back into the bathroom, chuckling at my how cute I looked. The final piece was my favorite black velvet chocker. It had a charm of  Saturn on it. I grabbed my phone and my bag before heading downstairs. It was 1 and Emily was picking me up at 1:15. Dad wanted to take me but Jack's soccer team needed an emergency coach for today's practice so he wouldn't be there till later. 

"Oh look at how cute you look." Beth gushed as she came over to me. Before I knew what she was doing I heard her camera go off.

"Mom no pictures, you know I hate pictures." Beth stopped dead in her tracks and so did I as I realized what I had said. 

"Did you just call me-?" She rushed forward and gathered me in her arms. 

"Are you gonna cry on my dress? And yeah...it just kinda slipped out...I'm sorry." I hid my bashful expression as she pulled away.

"No honey it's okay, you just made my year. You can call me mom if you want too." I had never even called Haley mom when I was little, but she was always mad at dad for having to leave for work or having to take care of me alone. But Beth was different. I heard the honk outside and gave her a kiss on the cheek before running outside. 

"Dang girl it's just a party at Rossi's you didn't have to show all of us up." Emily played as I slid in the car. She and I had grown extremely close over the last month. There was just some silent connection that we didn't bring up. 

"Oh, should I go change? Is this too much? It's one of my favorite's." I blushed bashfully. She just laughed and sped out of the driveway.

"No, I was kidding you just look stunning. The team is used to seeing you in fitted blouses and slacks or professional skirts. I'd almost say this was out of character for you if I didn't already know your love for the stars." We carried on with playful banter all the way to Rossi's. We arrived exactly at 2 which made me happy. I hated being late. We stepped and I finally got a good look at Em's dress.