Chapter 24: Chief Daddy

Happy new year people, I pray that this brand new year brings you beautiful things and God's grace all year round. Have an amazing year in God's Love.🎉🎉🎊🎊🎆🎆🎇🎇

By the next evening, Adeel and I stacked our overnight bags in the backseat of his luxurious car. It's leathery scent had me inhaling deeply, today had been an extra long day with meetings upon meetings, from dawn till evening. The only rest time I had was during Jummah service.

A few minutes later we were out of shell Estate and on the expressway to Adeel's parents house. I out if habit looked in the mirror and saw Husband number one's car. Its only a coincidence, right?

We turned into Life camp a few moments later due to an absolutely unbelievable traffic free road. Husband number one followed. My heart skipped a beat, I then remembered the warning he gave me when he was divorcing me.

"I don't care who you marry, I'm coming back for what is mine."  I looked in the mirror again, he had gone behind two cars but it was unmistakably him.

Should I tell Adeel?

I tapped him before I lost my nerve.

"I think my ex husband is tailing us." He nods and looks furtively in the mirror. Nods and taps a part of the steering.

"Hello sir" An alert voice answered.

"Bashir, the situation from last time is following me. Do I still have my detail?" There is paper shuffling in the background.

"Yes sir. A black Range Rover five cars away."

"Block the situation and give a warning." And the call ends.

"You knew?" I ask in awe.

"Its normal, I've been looking in the mirror. He's quite the stupid idiot. He followed us once we pulled out of our street." I lean back into my seat and watch in the mirror as a black Mercedes makes a turn that has you_know_who stumbling. I crack a smile.

He won't know what hit him. Probably been behind the prank calls to my phone.

***

Immediately after praying Magrib and having dinner, We all walked to the movie room as part of what Zarah had planned beforehand.

"Maama's fish curry is as outstanding as ever." Zeenah says as we walk leisurely towards the room. I'm swinging the sleeves of my neon blue khimaar when  Mohammed comes to join us whilst Adeel and Zarah are having a hushed meeting behind us.

"I know right, I  eat fish curry in London just to get a nostalgic taste of home, but no one very gets my Maama's taste." Mohammed scrunches up his face and we all laugh. Mohammed is finishing business school later this year.

Mohammed opens the heavy door to the movie room and waves us ahead. "After you, ladies." My phone vibrates against my skin as we walk in and as I take it out, my mind goes to the earlier prank call and how You-know-who was caught tailing us earlier.

"Hello. This is Nabeela Abdullahi." There's a sharp intake of breath just like the first time and my heart stops beating for a second.

"Hello, who is this." I shout mildly into the phone. No one answers and I hang up in dread. My phone hangs limply to my side and I'm feeling the beginnings of anxiety. The cold air from the air-conditioning penetrates through my hijab and I quickly tuck my hands under protection of my hijab. They were shaking so visibly.

"What movie should we watch?" Zeenah says something about a movie we all haven't seen.

"Let's see Jumanji." Adeel answers in a voice that brokers no argument. He looks up briefly to see us all staring at him.

He raises an eyebrow and Zarah stomps her feet with a pout. "We are in 2019 Hamma, not 2017. That movie is so 2016ish. Besides, none of us have seen Chief Daddy?"  I smile at the pout on Zarah's face. I don't know how sibling stories work because I grew up lonely and I learned to do a lot of things all by myself at  an early age.

"Fine" He grunts out and Zarah pumps the air. We are sitting side by side and the rest are in front of us. Adeel puts away his phone when the movie begins.

Joint laughter sounds out at the ridiculousness of Falz' character in the movie. Then the lights turn on and we all look towards the door. Maama is pushing a cart in and Mohammed rushes to help her. She shoos him away and hands each of us frozen yogurt. Mine with chopped bananas and mangoes.

I smile at her and she takes a seat beside me.

"What do you usually do for eid?" She whispers trying not to catch the attention of others, I look round. They are all hooked to the screen.

"Nothing Maama, just laze around after eid prayers." I wonder why she's asking this.

"We usually go to our hometown, Chiroma in Katsina." I nod gently. Obviously, I'd have to go with whatever tradition they have, you-know-who's family used to slave I and the other wives on eid days, I dreaded eid days, especially once when he had beaten the hell out of my waist a day before eid and I couldn't bend to tend to the wood fire that cooked the meat, those years feel like a dark part of my life. So painful. 

"So, I was hoping you would like to come with us. Its just me, their father, your husband and Zarah. The rest have exams a few days later so they won't travel." I nodded again. Chiroma is a place a bit far from the katsina capital.

"And we usually wear Asoebi to eid prayers. I'll send yours to you before the week runs out." I nod again and take a bite of my yogurt. She smiles at me and settles in a chair beside Mohammed, I smile at the back of her head, she's doing her own version of a matchmaking.

*********

"What were you and Maama whispering so furiously about?" I removed the duvet and proceeded to lie between the covers before answering.

"Eid." He nods and walks off to the bathroom. I'm acutely aware of the fact that we will be sharing a room, I've decided not to make a big deal out of it. I just hope he keeps to his side, I hate the touch of men. Husband number one had a rule, I had to make sure I didn't cross the barrier, I was forced to learn how to sleep properly while being married to him after being dealt slaps for crossing the barrier.

"Would you like me to turn off the nightlight or leave it on?" I asked him to leave it turned on because I have gotten used to sleeping with light, Husband number one used to pounce on me, beating and kicking for no reason. I began to leave lights on so I'd see him coming. I'm so messed up wallahi

I said my sleeping dua and noticed that air was being blown on me. Ya Rahman, how can I not be moved, how can I not feel all mushy.

*******

What Prank call when you can have an Adeel?😥😭😭 What prank call when you have a husband that blows duas over you. 😉😉😊😊

I hope y'all enjoyed the chapter, thank you for 5k. I'm ecstatic for what this year is bringing.

Finally this chapter is for my twin sister Nanah_Muhammad. Happy Birthday Sisterly, God bless your new age.🎇🎊🎊🎊🎊🎆🎂🎂🎈🎈

See y'all on Friday. Happy new year again.

                          TheOmoope.