Chapter Seven: The Wedding.

As I rounded up Khadijah Dikko's makeup, then I let her begin talking. She looked every shade of gorgeous with red lipstick and popping smoky eyes. I looked at her critically before spraying her face lightly with setting spray.

"Deeju, I want you to promise me something." I put my hands on her robed shoulders.

"What is that? " I reach out to push a stray edge of her hair. "Promise me, that if you have troubles, you'd always speak up and not hide a thing. You'll not cause  yourself emotional trauma by hiding anything?"

"I solemnly promise." She raises her left hand above her head and makes a show of swearing.

She hugs me and we begin to dress for her dinner. It begins by eight and she's determined to be there early, her gown is made out light blue lace into a nice asymmetrical cut long flowing train dress. It looked very simple at first sight but Khadijah wore it with  confidence and elegance.

I got dressed in a green  asoebi made into my usual style, a slight off shoulder style and styled my scarf my own way. All her bridesmaids were ready and waiting to leave for the venue.

A few minutes later I eased my Range Rover into the long line of cars set for the venue. Khayratu and Fawad were in the backseat. I had the responsibility of getting them to the venue.

As we drove, people openly gawked at the long line of cars, when I was marrying husband no 1, I was taken to my dinner with an entourage of twenty five cars, we caused traffic on that day.

I ease my car into the venue and find a comfortable place to park so I can leave once I have finished congratulating the couple.

The venue is a large hall with lights everywhere, the colours are fuschia pink and white. The planner did a great job making fuschia look like a royal color.

The event hasn't begun yet so I use that opportunity to find Ajike and hand her kids over to her. I spot her laughing with an older woman and I walk towards her.

"Asalam alaykum"

They both answer and Ajìkè introduces her companion as her mother in law's sister. She points out her mother in law to her kids who run into her arms.

"So, how early did you finish her make up?" She asks eagerly.

"I left one hour to spare. I never knew taking selfies took so much time. I wonder how the photographer did his job. It was so tiring."

Khadijah's friends made sure to take selfies with her. There was a large crowd in her room, clothes, bags, chargers were strewn about.

"The event is about to begin. Muadh just signaled me, let's move towards the front. Our tables are next to one another."  I walk with her to where she points and I see my name and take my seat at a table marked 'Eight'.

The event begins properly when the couple dance in to Davido's 'Assurance '. A few minutes later, they serve the first course. Jollof rice and grilled chicken.

I lay my napkin over my lap and ate while I watched the proceedings. The waiters came to take our plates away for dessert.

"Nabs"

Ya Allah, is that psychopath here?  I recite Ayatul kursiyyu to save me from evil eye while behaving as though I didn't hear. We are in public Nabeela, he can't beat you here.

I see a shadow blocking the chandelier light over my head and I'm forced to look up. My heart stops, my chest heaves and all the tasty Jollof rice I've just gobbled down threatens to come back up.

Husband number one.

I ignore him, continue taking my selfie with a shaky hand and I spy his Kaftan blocking my last picture. I put my phone in my purse shakily.

"What do you want?"

" You and I are not over, who are you marrying? " I scoff and burst into unconcerned laughter. Where is ABH when you need him.

"I'm marrying who I'm marrying. It's absolutely none of your business. I thought you married Afrah last year. Can't she take your brute side anymore? ".

His face turns grim and his knuckles fold, he is trying so hard to keep his anger in check. When I was married to him, if that happened in public, I knew I'd be flogged that night. I keep telling myself 'Nabeela, you are in public. He can't do anything to you'.

He walks away and I heave a huge sigh of relief. I'm sure Khadijah doesn't even know he was married to me.

Dessert comes immediately after he leaves. I get served yoghurt and chopped bananas. Yummy.

"Nabeela Abdullah? "

Ya Allah why me today, just why me. I'm trying so hard to enjoy my food and all these people come from no where to disturb.

"Assalaamu alaykum"

He drags a seat closest to me and his face comes into view. I choke in my spoon of yogurt. The very person I'd been running from. Adeel.

He crosses his arms akimbo and smirks at me. I use that opportunity to look at him. He's tall, light skinned, dark eyes. He is dressed in a black kaftan and has a zit on his left eye.

This is Adeel Baba Hassan.

*******

Hello people,

Who has seen what Adeel looks like now?, you all will know by Friday if he's a good man or not. I'll let you make your own decisions.

How are you all this evening. I know, I was supposed to update on Friday but somehow I decided I'll satisfy a friend's wish a day early.

Secondly. I'd like to thank you all for doing so much to tell other people about this story. Your excitement makes me want to write more. I love all of you.

This chapter is also a reminder to the 🙏🙏🙏🙇🙇🙇🙇author of Wishes of the Heart. ZeenahKabir please update and #BringbackmyAmeenya. 😭😩😔

God bless you and keep you safe.

            Yours Truly
             TheOmoope.