Chapter six: Checking on His

As I wrap up a makeup class, my phone rings. I know it's that unknown number, it has called me five times since I got engaged. I have a good guess who it is.

I dip all the brushes in warm water and gently wash powder of them. My brushes are as important as the makeup itself. My students are taking photographs of the made up person. As I wash the brushes in water, my mind casts back to when I just began self teaching myself makeup.

Every time Husband no 1 beat me I'd ask him to buy me one expensive make up set or the other as gifts. Pathetic I know, but it sure helped keep me sane. Especially as Hajiya Mama refused to let me leave.

Her words were 'Your husband beats you so you can learn, you children of this days are too flighty'.

"Miss Abdullah, your two o'clock is waiting."  Rahma, jerks me out of the reverie I'm in. I found out all the brushes are clean. I hand the brushes over to another student to let it dry. Giving strict instructions on what to do.

********

As I drive home, I think of the decision I made and how my mother is going to take it. Well, I intend to stand my ground, I'll not be pushed around. I'm no longer that twenty year old girl they forced to marry a brute.

I hear voices as I walk towards the living room, my mother is still entertaining guests from the engagement. They all have one thing or the other to say about my impending marriage.

The guest is a light skinned woman, slightly tall and plump, she has eyebrows that look semi perfect, she must have paid through her nose for it and her scarf is well tied in the new Hauwa Indimi style. Making her look beautiful in the cliche Nigerian woman look.

"Asalamu alaykum"

They both chorused answers and I sunk to my favourite rug. My mother introduces the woman as the wife of the chief accounting officer of Father's company. She smiles brightly at me, much too brightly in fact.

"I sell lace materials too, I import from Switzerland and Dubai and I also get one of a kind type of laces for brides who want to stand out."

Mother smiles at her and ask her for samples, she opens her small bag and produces a small transparent cellophane bag that had different colours and designs of lace materials.

Well, lady. sorry to disappoint you and your hopes of selling me one of a kind materials, I will not be using them.

I excuse myself and walk away to my room, my phone chimes with a message. It's the number I've refused to pick since Saturday.

          Hello fiancee,
          I think I have a wild guess why you have refused to take my calls. A message will do just fine. I hope you are doing very well. I just wanted to check on my future wife.

Masalam

       Adeel Baba Hassan.

As I read, my body grew cold. It's truly happening, it's really happening. It's really coming to pass. I don't want him. On days like this, I wish Baba had another daughter to marry off in this fashion. I sincerely wish.

***********

Hi everyone,

Who wants to know any Nabeela is about to do? Something drastic? If you know, you'll get the next chapter dedicated to you. 😀😀Happy predicting.

You guys are awesome and have gorgeous hearts. Thank you for the votes and comments on the last chapter, seeing that you all love Soiled is beautiful. God bless you.

Finally, This chapter is for a sweetheart @AeshaKabir, I used her recipe for date coffee in the first chapter and I've never regretted it. Thank you dearie for your support.

I love you all, you all stay safe and out of trouble. God bless and keep you in good health.

                       Yours Truly
                     TheOmoope.