Chapter Five: This Too Will Pass

Important author's note at the end. Please read. 😊😩😍

As I drove in, I had to stop for an entourage of cars, one of the cars looked familiar. The car I saw Adeel Hassan in the other day. Does he live in here?

After they passed, I honked at the Dikko's gate and I was let in. I parked and walked in.

I was greeted by a two kids who launched themselves at me. I held the girl in my arms and patted the boy's head. It dawned on me that I had no idea of their names.

I set the girl down and sank to their level

"What's your name?"

The boy answered first "I'm Fawad Dikko, I'm seven years old and this is Khayratu and she's five." Khayratu snuck behind her brother and hid there. I smiled and got up.

Ajìkè Dikko walked out of the kitchen and smiled brightly at me before pulling me into a warm hug. I smelt Jollof rice spices on her and I sighed in relief.

"Come and sit with me, I'm cooking for them to take to a play date with their friends." I held out my hand for Khayrat and followed Ajìkè Dikko.

I found a seat at the kitchen table and I lifted Khayratu onto the island. She pulled at my scarf and began playing with the strands of my hair.

"I'm sorry about the other day, I completely lost my mind. I do that once Muad'h  is around. Ma binu." She smiles apologetically at me.

"I had fun talking to Deeju and her elder sister before leaving, so no offense taken whatsoever, I'm getting engaged today, so I left the house since my mother in law will be coming over."

"Really?, one of my husband's friends is getting engaged today too, he just left a few moments ago."

My mind goes back to the cars outside their street.

"Adeel Baba Hassan right? "

Her head snaps up from the fish she's adding spices to.  "Adeel is marrying you?  Oh Ya Allah, Alhamdulilahi." This woman is the most perceptive of women.

My face is a mask of confusion and she washes and wipes her hands before sitting at the counter. "I had prayed that Allah gives him the best of wives and Allah just answered my prayers."

"Best of wives?  What do you mean?  What is he like as a person, how does he behave? " I want to know eveey thing I can about him, I know I lost the chance to know him once I agreed to marry him.

"He's an amazing man wallah, you'll get to know him once you are married to him." She searches out to pat Khayratu's curls. Khayratu's hair is enviable, I run my fingers through them.

"You must let me make Khayratu up and take a photograph of her. She's so cute." Khayratu smiles at me, her dimples are enough to take your breath away. Masha Allah.

She leave me to get the kids dressed for their play date. I answer work emails and direct messages. My phone chimes with a message from my mother.

"You are engaged, you can come home now." 

Ajìkè Dikko walks towards me in a  blue silk floor length dress and her hair is wrapped in a small turban. She squints at me.

"Why are you looking so pale, Muad'h just told me your engagement just got finalised. Is that why you look like you have swallowed poison?"
She pours me a glass of water and forces me to take a drink. I take a small sip and set the glass down.