Twenty

Chapter twenty

Cleansing

Amal

"Bibi, what did you do?" I finally got a chance to ask. Bibi had stopped crying and we've been listening to the noise outside as instruments were played, songs of praise rising like steam and above all, human chatter as people exchanged excited whispers.

Perhaps Yesmin really is the chosen!

Bibi said "Mina..your mother, she's my daughter" Bibi told me.

Suddenly, the noise faded, the chatter dissolved and all I can hear is the beating of my own heart.

Does this mean that..Bibi is my grandmother?

"Yes. Suheera is my daughter Mina. She is your biological mother. It is sad that you and I both have never met her yet. The only time I held her to my chest was that one time after I gave birth to her right before my father took her away" she told me.

I remained silent because I was too choked up to talk.

"I found out that my husband had other wives. In my hometown, I'm aware of the terrible battle cowives engage in. It's war. It's a war that lasts several lifetimes. It doesn't matter if he's alive or dead. The wives become enemies. Their children scheme and hate each other. Perhaps it's not that bad in many families. But..Minaa..this is very common in my place. So when I found out that he had other wives, I realized that he was lying to me. He was several years older than I was. I only married him because I was hopelessly in love with him. He had a gentle aura that made hi distinguished among other people. He's smart and kind and very handsome too. When I married him, he didn't look his age at all. I knew he must be rich because of the way he treats money. But I never knew he was that rich..." Bibi shook her head sadly.

"Who was he Bibi? Who was my maternal grandfather?" I asked. Supposing all she said was true, then..

"He told me his name is Ibrahim Mina. He said he was just Ibrahim Ahmad. He and my older brother collaborated to make the wedding happen and I was too much in love to care st the time. I always thought I could get to know him better while we were married..

It all came crashing down when I found out he was married to two other women aside from me!"

"Did you run?" I asked hoarsely.

Bibi nodded. "Yes I ran! I left Italy and ran for Maicki right into my family's embrace. I was shunned for a few months when my father realized that the man I married is a thilte. My father was so furious that he vowed to make him divorce me. But then..we found out that the man was Ibrahim Alkali! My brother knew it of course! It was the reason why my father blacklisted him from our family and warned him never to return!

It was a huge mess. But the threat my brother faced, silenced me. My mother realized I was pregnant and they tried to abort it. Only, it was already five months old! So after I gave birth..father took my baby away after allowing me just a few seconds with her. I missed her dearly but I was told she has found a good family near her real family.

Father married me off to a Takhi farmer. Life was hard and brutal but I endured it for my family's sake. I wanted to make them forgive me by being so obedient. As it turned out, my husband lost his farm because the government claimed it wasn't sold properly in the first place and he grew bitter. A school was erected on top of the field and he took it out on me. He said that it must be the Alkalis taking vengeance on him! That if I didn't run off with a thilte, he would still have his farm..

I endured for a while longer but the attitude of my family was still cold. It was several years later that Ibrahim Alkali found me but each time I was forced to lie to him so the implication that my daughter died will stump him.