Chapter 20

*Lunch*

Amal
So I went downstairs. Out of all the people I saw at the main kitchen, I only recognized Jami. I wish Sadiya was here. She's been such a great help and I knew she won't mind helping me out once again. But Jami looks kind as well. She must be a few years older than I am but she doesn't seem to be giving me strange looks so that has to count for something.

To my surprise , all the people in the main kitchen started to greet me saying 'Ina kwana Anti Amal?' Some were like 'Ina kwana Hajiya Amarya' I did not foresee this coming. Suddenly, I've got so many names now that I'm married to Saif. Even as at last month, half of these people would've ignored me saying I'm rude for not greeting them! Life is strange.

I was so embarrassed I couldn't answer properly. I just nodded faintly before my gaze zeroed on Jami.

"Jami can I have a word?" I asked.

Jami nodded happily and we came out of the kitchen. "I'm surprised you know the way to the kitchen Anti. And why are you up so early? Breakfast would be served soon, you don't have to worry at all" she assured me.

It's even stranger someone is thinking of cooking for me.

"Jami, Uncle Saif is having friends over for lunch. Do you think maybe I can have the kitchen to myself for a few hours? I promise no one will starve" I pleaded.

Jami's eyes widened in shock. "No! How can we let you cook! Please Anti, leave it to us. We will take care of everything. You are a bride! You are not supposed to come into the kitchen. Please Anti don't insist" Jami is adamant.

"He wants me to cook Jami. Do you want me to disappoint him?" I asked with a pitiful face. Jami shook her head quickly. "Of course not. I didn't Know that Ya Saif knew. But can I help you out? We could all stay to help you" she offered hopefully.

"You can stay. But I don't like crowds" I replied.

Jami nodded in understanding. "It's okay. Give me a minute so I can clear the kitchen for you" she promised.

In ten minutes, we were both standing in the middle of the spacious kitchen. It's like a chef's universe. I feel like I'm in heaven.

"Ya Saif buys a lot of foodstuf. Most we don't even know how to use. He especially loves herbal tea. He buys so much variety, we always find it hard to please him. It's a trial earning the knowledge to mix this and that. And the spices! Anti Amal, they will make you delirious" Jami chattered.

I smiled briefly. "He is such a genius" I sighed. I went over, opening every cabinet my hands could reach, every drawer, I wanted to see everything.

It must look like I'm possessed. I'm just so over the moon happy at what I am seeing. Not even Iya has so much stuff.

"Jami, get me a pen and paper" I requested. Jami could only nod. I can see she is looking at me funny. Like she doesn't get what is so hyper in this kitchen.
When she brought them, I used them to note down what I'll be needing and what I'll be doing with them, the quantity and everything.

I went into the store, checking things out, mentally preparing myself for what best to cook. He wants simple and easy. That is what he will get. But I'll make it so special he will wonder just how the hell that was ever labeled simple!

About two hours later, Saif made an appearance in the kitchen. We were so busy cutting vegetables. I haven't gotten around to the cooking part yet so there is no outstanding aroma to make it seem like I was good on my word.

He looks to be looking around for proof but there was none. I was just in the preparatory phase of the cooking.

"You didn't even start?" He asked accusingly.