Chapter 33

This chapter is dedicated to anyone reading so far. Thanks guys!

"Made for me"
Amal

It was deep into the night when I had the most terrible dream.
Marka was there and she has a knife. Her eyes were red and she was intent on ripping my stomach with it. She raised the knife up in a deliberate fashion before viciously bringing it down to strike at me.

I screamed. My whole body was shaking from fear.

"Shhhhh..." I heard his voice. It tore into my screams and registered in my brain letting me know that I'm not alone. It took me a few moments, but I finally stopped screaming. Saif said I should pray. I stared at him dumbly, suddenly weak as the tremors racked my body still. He started to do the du'ah openly while I tried to recite it after him.

After a while, I had calmed down enough to wonder what I was doing on his bed...

I looked at him through tired eyes. Saif drew me to him and I moved into his chest as if it was my last lifeline, sniffing his scent like some deranged weirdo. He was kind enough to not spook out at my attitude. In fact, he grew even gentler, seemingly treating me as if I was going to shatter any second.

He gently laid down while he drew me along with him, wrapping me in his warmth. I felt his breath as he prayed for me. We laid like that for so many minutes until I felt my heartbeat slowing down. It was the last nightmare I had that night. I didn't even know when I slept. I just remember the sound of his breathing, the even tones he used to recite the du'ah for me as he rubbed it over me.

For once, I was late in waking up by a large margin. Saif was nowhere to be found so I just went into the toilet and took a bath. I kept rewinding the nightmare vividly as I compared it to what happened ten years ago. I was too naive then. I couldn't understand that she meant to kill me that day. But now that my brain cells are deciphering it well, my mind is using the incident to resurrect my fear of Marka.

I felt reasonably safe in his room. But for some reason, I don't want to go out. I feel as if she would appear and drag me away to hurt me again. I don't know if I would ever feel safe with her loose and free to do as she wished just like before.

But this is different. Now I have Saif and Iya. They would protect me. She won't find a way to hurt me again. I'm not a helpless little girl any longer. I am a grown up fifteen year old girl with the experience of an adult. I am not weak. I am not weak..

It was the mantra I kept telling myself, willing my heart to believe it. It wasn't so easy. I can't remove the fear at once. But I would try.

I wondered what the house is like right now. What Marka would do if she realized what Anti meant to all of us. If Abba would take her back. If my sisters would accept her like nothing ever happened...

If they would leave today with their in laws.

Would she allow it? Abba did this on purpose, I realized. He must know about Marka and he did this for some reason. I just don't get what he wishes to achieve by it all.