The Dungeon

Marilyn Anderson

“Babe close your eyes.” Zak instructed as he shut off the Bentley. I rose an eyebrow, and glanced over at him curiously. “It's for the surprise. Please close your eyes.” I shook my head stubbornly, “Why?” Zak gasped, “Marilyn!”

“Last time I closed my eyes around you boys I was bombarded with water-balloons and silly string from the dollar store.” I argued with him, crossing my arms and leaning back on the leather seat, looking out the tinted window. Zak let out a huff of aggravation and put his hand on my thigh, gently kneading it as to get me to give in more easily.

“Marilyn,” Zak said quietly, “Please? I promise you won't get bombarded with water-balloons and silly string again.” I looked back over at Zak, who was giving me puppy eyes with those big, deep blue eyes. Letting out a sigh, I softly closed my eyes and heard Zak let out a sigh of excitement. He got out of the car, and opened the passenger side, taking my hand and helping me out before leading me away from the car.

“Oh god, Zak.” I groaned, “Please don't tell me you're taking me to some secluded location to murder me and then bury my bits around Vegas.” Zak snickered at this, and I could almost hear him roll his eyes. I smiled as Zak's feet hit the ground, and a door creaked open slowly. Oh god, please don't tell me Zak had set up lunch at a haunted house. I'll kill him.

Suddenly, Zak whispered in my ear, “Open up, babe.” I opened my eyes slowly. It wasn't a haunted house, which really surprised me since Zak was like obsessed with spirits. It was a cute little room, lighted with Christmas lights, which was really cheesy to me, a little two person table sitting in the middle of the room. Neatly set with food on each side, and a glass of what looked to be champagne. A large brick fireplace sat across from the table, a huge fire roaring on the inside of it – which was confusing, because the temperature of the air conditioned room wasn't even affected by the roaring fire in the fireplace. I ignored that, because I didn't want to ask Zak a stupid question. The flooring of the room was a beautiful, mahogany wood flooring. The walls painted a deep crimson red – almost reminding me of the color of blood. A huge set of windows lay out on the left side of me, facing what I figured was Lake Las Vegas – since there wasn't any other lakes in Vegas. Trees surrounded the edge of the lake and a big bonfire pit sat down at the beach. I didn't talk – I was actually astounded by not only the beauty of the room, but the beauty of the view. “Do you like it?” Zak asked wearily after a few moments of utter silence.

“Zak,” I gasped, “It's absolutely beautiful.” I turned around and pulled him into a hug – kissing his lips tenderly before turning back to the room, “Gah. I could just stay here forever!” Zak laughed at this, a soft giggle that erupted from his stomach and bubbled out of his mouth.

“Lets eat before the food gets cold.” Zak smiled as he led me over to the tables. He pulled out a chair, and I sat on it before he pushed it in. Zak walked to the other side of the table and sat down too, then smiled at me playfully. “Do you like what I ordered? I wasn't sure what you would like..” Zak babbled. I looked down at the food. It seemed to be as if Zak wanted to serve dinner to the whole united states military. In front of me, there were plates upon plates of food. First, there was a plate of what seemed to be a seven ounce steak, topped with shrimp and garlic sauce, just how I like it. Along with a side of corn-on-the-cob, and skin-mashed-potatoes. On a plate beside my main dish, a big pile of grilled-asparagus and grilled-zucchini. The glass of golden champagne sat in front of me, but a coke bottle sat beside it, when I looked up to question Zak about it, he implied, “I wasn't sure if you would want to drink, so I had the servers get you something to drink.” I nodded at this, and picked up my fork and knife, sawing my steak apart to reveal the pink insides. My mouth watered at this sight. I took the A1 that was sitting next to me and doused the meat in the liquid, and then shoved it in my mouth with a snicker from Zak. “Hungry?” He asked.