Butcher Knives.

Marilyn Anderson

As soon as we pulled up to the place, Zak smiled at me. He knew the place, and I couldn't believe he had remembered it. How long had it been since we went here together? “Reneges Grill & Bar. We had our first date here.” Zak put the car in park and pulled his seat belt off, taking his hand off my own.

“I know.” I smiled, “I called Beatrice a few days ago, she said they redid the whole place to give it more of a country feel. I can't wait to see it.” Zak smiled at that. I think the restaurant was growing on him, and I was extremely excited for that. I loved this little grill & bar. My daddy had taken me here when I was little, and now I'm starting a new tradition of my own. We hopped out of the car, and I shut the door softly. Zak met me at my side, and took my hand before making our way inside the door to Reneges. The place had an extremely different feel. The once green walls were now painted a light brown, animal heads and bull skulls liming the walls, cowboy hats hanging off some. Instead of tables, booths lined the walls. The once stain splattered carpet was now wooden flooring. Loud country music echoed through the place, and they had added a full on bar at the end of the restaurant.

“Howdy Marilyn!” A voice called. My eyes wandered over to a big lady with even bigger blonde hair. Her lips coated in layers of red lipstick, wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, jeans and a vest with the name of the restaurant on the back, “Nice to see you back again!” Beatrice. I smiled at her.

“It's good to be back, B!” I smiled at her as she took me into a hug. “Look at this place, it's not the place I used to come to when I was little – that's for sure.” Beatrice sighed as she waddled over to the podium that was in front of us and pulled out a few menus.

“Honey, that place is long gone now.” Beatrice sighed, “Prop-a-tee managa' told us that we had to switch up our workin' abilities. Said we was getting too much complaints about bein' dirty.” I frowned at that. “He even made us change up the menu.”

“You guys are in no way dirty.” I replied angrily, “That guy is just an asshole. He's been an asshole ever since you guys started this business.” Beatrice nodded in response as she took us over to our table. “Your food is awesome, has he even ate here before?” Beatrice shook her head as she put the menus down in a booth in the back, to give us some privacy.

“Well,” Zak said as he slid into the booth on one side, and I slid in on the other side, “The steak is to die for. You better not have changed that or I'll go speak to the property manager myself.” Beatrice laughed at that before pointing her pencil at him and winking at me.

“He's a keeper,” She smiled at me, she looked at Zak before walking away and said, “Y'all better treat her right. Her last boyfriend did things to her unimaginable. H-”

“Beatrice.” I smiled at her, cutting her off. Beatrice had a look of surprise.

“You haven't told-”

“Beatrice.” I repeated again. Beatrice smiled before hurrying off. Zak eyed me confused.

“Marilyn,” Zak began, “What's going on?” I shook my head before opening the menu, hiding my head from him. Zak slowly pulled it from my hands and folded it back up and sitting it next to him. “Marilyn, you know you can tell me anything.” I didn't say anything, I just bit my lip and stared at him.