chapter 60: A Loveless Union

As Zoey stepped through the grand gates, she heaved a long sigh. Finally, after hours of driving, she arrived at Dante's house. The gates swung open automatically, and the car continued its journey.

"How much longer until we get there, sir?" Zoey asked politely.

"We still have quite a way to go, Ms.," the chauffeur replied courteously.

"God," Zoey murmured, glancing out of the window. The driver had informed her that Dante's home was nestled in the mountains. All she could see were tall pine trees. As they passed through the second gate, Zoey's eyes widened.

"Oh my God, is that a wolf?" she asked the chauffeur, terror evident on her face.

The chauffeur responded with a warm smile. "Indeed, Ms., those are wolves. But don't worry-they're trained and won't harm anyone except those with ill intentions."

"People can actually train wolves? How many are there?" Zoey's curiosity got the better of her.

"Roughly 20, not counting their offspring," he informed her.

Finally, the car pulled up in front of the house. Zoey's breath caught. The house was gigantic, its glass façade revealing nothing of what lay inside. Dante emerged, gesturing for her to follow. His gesture was swift and cold. Zoey picked up her small suitcase and entered. The entrance was biometrically coded, requiring Dante's fingerprint and eye recognition. No wonder he had come to fetch her personally. The interior was dark-themed, with black furniture, carpets, and décor. The glass walls had no curtains, leaving Zoey feeling small and insignificant.

Noticing her discomfort, Dante spoke. "This is a real marriage, but with no attachments. Don't interfere with my life, and I never want to find you in my bed, unclothed. Is that clear?"

Reality crashed down on Zoey. She had forgotten that this was merely a contract-a role she had to play as his wife. What did Dante gain from crowning her Mrs. Blackwood? She couldn't fathom it.

She nodded, and Dante led her to two imposing doors upstairs. One was made of black marble, the other of pristine white.

"Your room," he pointed to the white door. "Stay out of mine, and don't pry into my affairs." With that, he disappeared into his room.

Zoey entered her assigned space, which was five times larger than her apartment it didn't have anything, just a king-sized bed and a makeup table. She sank onto the bed, whispering, "What now?" Before drifting off into a restless sleep, where contracts and cold marriages haunted her dreams.