Chapter 20: Put Yourself In His Shoes

Half an hour later, Mia budged into the hotel room. Chloe faced her and smiled as she greeted,

"Hello, Aunt Mia!"

"Hie Chloe, how are you and where's your father's assistant? "

Chloe slightly frowned and said

"She's no longer my father's assistant she is my mommy now, aunt Mia."

Mia smiled and threw herself on the couch and cuddled Chloe.

"Ain't that nice? You are finally getting a mother after all these years. "

"Yeeep."

Mia looked around and saw the French window slightly open,so she assumed that was where Zoe was. She left the shopping bag on the table and went over. There, Zoe was in a daze, deep in thought. Mia took a deep breath and masked her mischievous smile before clearing her throat. Slightly startled, Zoe faced Mia and said

"Hello Mia,"

Mia just laughed awkwardly and said

"I know I owe you an explanation about that night. But trust me, I did it all for the sake of my cousin. I'm sorry."

Zoe smiled and said, "If you are truly sorry, then why don't you take a seat here and explain?"

Mia just sighed and sat opposite Zoe on the huge balcony.

"Look Zoe, what happened is, when Dante went to chat with his friends, they told him that his position as the Blackwood CEO was at stake. Dante's mother is the only living parent he has, five years ago, I don't know what happened, but Chloe was born. I don't even know her mother. Nobody knows except for him. Grandma always wanted to meet Chloe's mother, but Dante always said that she couldn't due to some illness, and one day, he just told us that she died. I don't know how true that was, but I believed him. Recently, Chloe has been bugging Grandma saying she needed a mom, so the old lady told Keegan that if Dante doesn't find a wife within a month's time, she would draw in off his title. And it happened that Chloe liked you, Dante knows you, so automatically, you were the right candidate. At that bash, many influential people were present, and he knew that if he would put on a show, the rumor would spread fast, and it would do him and Chloe more good than harm. I know it seems selfish, but put yourself in his shoes. "

She paused and continued

"I know you might think that he is doing all this for the CEO position, but behind that, he is doing it for his mother. The old lady is not growing any younger. She, too, wishes to see her grand daughter happy. At some point, she told Selena that if Dante didn't listen to her, she would kill herself because there wouldn't be anything to live for no more. All this is not his selfishness. Zoey, trust me. He is just doing it for his mother and daughter, that is all. I'm sorry you have to be the spotlight of all this when you value your peace, but think of Chloe, and you don't know her yet but think of Dante's mothe--"

Just as she was about to finish, they heard Chloe shouting, "Grandma!!" Inside and Zoe looked at Mia with a terrified expression while Mia just shrugged and smiled awkwardly facing her toes.