Chapter 27: Playing Hard To Get Hard

"Mom!"

An angry woman shouted at the entrance. Her mother, who was busy doing her own nails, ran over and asked worriedly.

"Laila, what is wrong? Why do you seem mad. Didn't you just go on a date with Dante? What went wrong? "

"He embrassed me!"

Letting out a sigh of relief, she said,

"That's how he is my daughter. Don't let what he said get to your head. You know his situation. He is finding it hard to love or trust any woman after his first wife died. Don't worry, Mrs Blackwood told me to tell you to be patient with him. Besides, you have loved him ever since college, what could hurt by putting some nasty words behind. Be a good girl. Show him that you can be all he needs, for yourself and the family. You know a marriage between the two families will be great for our family business, I'm sure your father would be happy. " her mother soothed her, which worked.

"You are right, mom. I'm sure the happiness I'll have when I become Mrs Blackwood is nothing compared to the humiliation I'll face. "

***

"I don't accommodate people with their issues in my office," Zoey said with a straight face, her attention fixed on her laptop.

Dante just smiled and said, "You're becoming too comfortable for your own good," pausing for effect. "But I like it."

Zoey stole a quick glance at him and hummed in response.

"Ms. Zoey, can we go get married?" Dante's tone was casual, as if discussing the weather.

"No," Zoey replied, equally matter-of-fact.

"Playing hard to get, huh?"

"Mommy always told me to marry for love," Zoey quipped, her eyes still on her screen.

Dante stood up, closing the distance between them. "Is that so? Well, I'll just be patient. I'll never regret the day I call you mine," he said, his voice low and confident.

"I'm starting to think I don't know who you are," Zoey retorted, finally looking up at him.

"Why? Don't you like me like this?" Dante's proximity was unnerving, yet intriguing.

"I'm just used to your cold personality, that's all," Zoey admitted, her resolve wavering.

"Well, get used to it," Dante murmured, leaning in even closer. "Or else there'll come a day when you'll regret not taking advantage of this time."

Zoey's heart raced. She held her breath as Dante's warm breath grazed her skin. Closing her eyes, she allowed herself to feel and break down the walls she'd carefully built.

But the kiss she anticipated didn't come. Slowly opening her eyes, she found Dante smirking at her. "You felt something after all," he stated, as if confirming a secret.

"Get away from me, you asshole!" Zoey pushed him, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment and anger.

"Leave!" she shouted, pointing at the door. Dante lingered, studying her face.

"Fine, if you don't want to," she said, her expression unreadable. "Then I will."

As Zoey stormed out, slamming the door behind her, Dante remained in the office, a satisfied smile playing on his lips. He reached for his phone and dialed Keegan.

"Meet me at the Quinn's club in 30," he instructed before hanging up.