Chapter 5: Zoe

When knock out time came Zoe hurried to the bus station because she didn't wanna miss her bus. As she was waiting for it she received a call from her mother and she answered it on the first ring.

"Zoe my child how are you. I've been worried sick about you, your phone has been unreachable the whole da-"

"Mom chill out I'm fine I was just babysitting the boss' child the whole day so I didn't want to anything to distract me"

"Oh I see. How is the city you haven't come back home in 2 years, your brothers and I miss you"

"Mom I really wanna come home but I can't. If working myself out as a donkey means you finally attaining peace from the debt collectors then I'll gladly do it"

There was a pause on the other end for a minute and Zoe couldn't help but worry; "Mother?" She said

"I'm sorry for everything my dear. I hate your father even more for this, I hope him and his mistress both rot in hell." She said sobbing.

"Mom don't cry. We already talked about this. I don't know him and I never want to so please stop talking about him."

Her mother sighed and said; "the city is small and I'm sure you'll meet him one day. With all the money and influence he has (sigh) I don't know baby just take care of yourself "

"I will Mom, in a year I would have fixed everything and paid them back, you all can move here then and we'll start a new and fresh life. The bus as arrived mom. I'll speak to you tomorrow"

***

Zoe arrived at her destination and went to buy some groceries at the supermarket. On her way out she bumped into someone.

"My bad human error,I'm sorry " she humbled herself and apologized.

The man just looked at her at walked away without saying anything. But what didn't escape Zoey's eye is the fact that he looked a lot more like her boss, but just the younger version of him. She brushed it off and walked home. She rented a 2 room apartment which was small but smart. This cozy two-room apartment is perfect for a lady who values comfort and convenience. The living room features a sofa bed, a smart TV, and a coffee table, while the kitchenette has a fridge, a microwave, and a stove. The bedroom has a queen-sized bed, a wardrobe, and a desk, and the bathroom has a shower, a sink, and a toilet. The apartment is equipped with Wi-Fi, air conditioning, and heating, and has a balcony with a view of the city. The apartment is located in a safe and quiet neighborhood, close to shops, restaurants, and public transport. This is a great place to call home.

She removed her shoes cooked herself some food, ate, did the dishes and went to bed. As she sat in her bed she took out her laptop and started to revise her boss' schedule for tomorrow. After she was finished she called her little twin brothers.

"Zake and Xavier how are you my little pumpkins"

"We good. Sis thank you for the cellphones you bought for us they are really helping in terms of studying " it was Xavier the talkative one who said

"Yaaap thank you sister, we love you"

"I love you too just wanted to check on you. Is there anything you need"

"Nope!" They both synchronized and dropped the call.

When Zoey's father was still in their lives Zoey was 4 so she doesn't remember anything about him. He went around town and gambled leaving his poor pregnant wife to pay off the debts.  He fell in love with another woman and divorced Zoey's mother leaving them in a series of debts of millions of dollars since he borrowed money to start-up a business and a new life, he left them when Zoey was 5 and her mother just days away from delivery. He left them with nothing and despite being a mother and breastfeeding she worked hard for her children to go to school and have a good future.
Now Zoey is 21 and already an assistant in a well reputed company and her brothers now 16 are still in high school with good grades. Life is what they make it.