What If There Was A Way

Jin

"Namjoon, please!" I begged.  "Please stop ignoring me and just let me apologize.  I wasn't in my right mind.  I was terrified because I'd just become everything I didn't want.  I became king, was told I needed to marry a woman, my brother missed my coronation because he's in a coma, and I was made to give you up all in the span of an hour!  It was too much to process and I acted like an idiot!"

Namjoon huffed as he sat back down in his usual oversized purple chair in my chambers.  I knew he'd only come in the first place because it would've cost him to deny his king.  The knowledge pained me more than he knew. 

"Jin, I knew that.  I knew it wasn't really that you believed what you said, it's just...you have to see how it sounded to me.  How it felt for me.  And the situation I'm in when it comes to you."

"I know," I squeaked out.

"You do, but you don't.  You will never know how it feels to be inferior.  To anyone now.  To know that you can never be or give what the person you love needs most.  Jin, you have to marry a woman.  There's no changing that.  We can't get around that fact and I can't share.  I forgive you for what you said.  I forgave you sooner than I should have, really, but it doesn't change anything.  We still can't be together and you know it.  Why keep making it harder on us both?"

I took a deep breath.  This is the moment I had waited for.  The moment I hoped he'd allow me.  I had one chance to pitch my scheme to him and I had to do it right or he'd immediately say no and that would be the end of it.

"What if...what if there was a way?"

"Jin," Namjoon started in a warning tone.

"No, no!" I waved my hands at him.  "Hear me out.  What if there was a way for us to be together without me needing to produce an heir?  Or to give up my throne."

"How?  How would that be possible?"

"Hobi and I talked..."

Namjoon scoffed and crossed his arms, leaning back into his chair.  "So you two hatched some harebrained plot together as usual?"

I ignored his jab and continued, "This time what we thought up makes sense."

He laughed and my heart melted just a little.  "Unlike it normally does then."

"Hush," I scolded, but my smile contradicted me.  "Anyway...he has a woman that he and Prince Yoongi intend to have a duel relationship with as you know.  We kind of...thought it would be smart to have their children become the next ruler of each of our lands.  She can have one of Hoseok's children and one of Yoongi's.  They'll be more likely to be cooperative with each other because they share parents and they'll be able to grow up in both kingdoms.  It could improve the relationships between the kingdoms, especially after everything father did.  Or...they could completely unite the two kingdoms and rule it as one.  No East and West Busan at all...just...Busan!"

Namjoon wasn't laughing now.  In fact, he had a rather serious look on his face as he scratched his protruding chin.  Nodding, he finally spoke, "Typically whenever you two start devising plans, I have to stop it before you both do something so unbelievably stupid that you can't take it back.  But...this time...it actually kind of sounds like a good idea."  He smiled at me with tears beginning to well in his eyes.  "We could be together without issue then."

I nodded and opened my mouth to speak when Sir Taehyung burst into my chambers without knocking.  "Forgive the intrusion, King Jin, but there is news!  So many things you don't know about yet!" He yelled frantically.

Namjoon and I just stared in shocked silence, so he continued, "There's good news, great news, and not so great news.  What do you want first?"

"Uhhh...great news I guess?" I couldn't even find it in me to yell at him over coming into my chambers unannounced after all we'd been through together.  Truth be told, he'd sort of grown on me and I had begun to see him as another brother.

"Well, the great news is that Lisa said yes when I proposed to her!" He squealed out, seeming almost childlike compared to his usual quiet and taciturn countenance.

"That's...congratulations, Sir Taehyung!  But, why did that require you to interrupt me in my private chambers?"

He calmed himself.  "It didn't.  The good news next.  Prince Jungkook is awake."

"WHAT?" Namjoon and I shrieked in unison as we jolted from our chairs.

"You should have led with that!  Why didn't you tell me right away?  How is that only good news?  Where is he?  How long has he been awake?"

Taehyung shook his head.  "Not now.  He's not been awake long and he's resting with Prince Jimin in his chambers.  The physician found me and asked me to relay the message as he had to mix up medications for Prince Jungkook now that he's awake."

"This is excellent news.  Thank you for delivering it to me, Sir Taehyung."

He shook his head once more.  "I'm not finished yet.  I haven't gotten to the bad news yet."

I sat back down, a bit of fear gripping at my heart.  "And what is that?"

"Prince Jungkook has no memory of who he or anyone else is."

Sighing, I processed the heavy information.  "No memories at all?"

Taehyung frowned and shook his head.  "Nothing, King Jin.  He didn't even know Jimin from what the royal physician had said.  There is hope though, because he seemed to recognize him in some ways.  Perhaps he can regain them in time."

I nodded.  "Until then, we need to keep a close watch on him.  If he's truly as you say, he's very vulnerable.  He could be manipulated if he falls into the wrong hands."

We all agreed and Sir Taehyung left to attend to his duties and his new fiance. 

"Well...this certainly has been a big day."

_______________________________

A/N: Anyone notice in the last chapter that Jimin suddenly stopped referring to Jin with his title and just called him Jin?  No?  I didn't think anyone would.

If things go according to my plans, there are just five more chapters left.  We'll see if it plays out that way, though. 

In the meantime...How will Jimin try to help Jungkook get his memories back?

What is Jin so worried about?

Will Jungkook actually get his memories back at all?

Will Jikook have their happy ending?

Will I ever shut up with the questions at the end of each chapter?  It's gonna be a no on that one.

Read more about it next time, Lovely Armies!