Chapter 33- Feelings of Betrayal

^^ SHANSHAN ^^

I was crying the whole trip until the airport. Mark just kept silent, offering me a handkerchief to wipe my tears and patiently waiting for me to calm down.

He was glad that no one was hurt during the chase, but he was displeased at my Jungkook for nearly delaying our flight. Guns and bullets seemed like a normal thing for Mark because he showed no fright nor surprise.

When we got inside the plane, I forced myself to stop crying and readied myself for New York City. I needed strength and courage, knowing that I had to deal with my stepfamily later on.

"You need to sleep, Lee Ji Hyo. We still have a long flight to go," Mark's remarks snapped me out of my thoughts.

I blinked, suddenly realizing that I'd been facing the window until it was dark. I haven't talked to Mark since we left, but he kept his patience and behaved as he understood how I felt.

"I have a favor to ask," my voice cracked. "Let me stay in your home for a while." I met his surprised face, but he immediately smiled, showing off his complete set of teeth that made him even look more masculine and handsome.

"Sure, my parents would be glad to see you there! I will have everything prepared for you right now."

"Thank you," I sighed, ignoring the joy he felt. I hated my stepbrother Roger for being such an annoying and disgusting brat, but I believed what he wrote in the letter. He said that Mark was the only person I could trust for now, and I wondered why Roger chose to be on my side.

"Why... are you not asking me?" I questioned Mark.

"Asking you what?"

"I just said that I wanted to stay in your mansion instead of going home to my stepfamily. Why are you not asking me the reason why?"

He cleared his throat and looked at me with a soft smile, the corner of his lips still healing from the punch he received from Jungkook yesterday. "I know that you don't get along well with your family. And when I visited your dad while he was sick, he begged me to protect you from your stepmother... and I want to keep that promise."

"Why him?"

"Did my father know that Monalyn is plotting something against me?"

"I suspect it too, since the day she insisted on talking about our canceled marriage. It feels like she really needs you to come back."

I furrowed my eyes and scooted towards him to listen more, not noticing that I was so close to him while we talked. "Then... about you telling me that our marriage can save our company... was it a lie?"

"It's true. Your stepbrother just took the throne last year, and your business immediately began to go down and decrease in reputation because of his carelessness. They are losing many business associates, and even your father's subordinates withdrew their contract from your brother's business. Your stepmother is looking for many ways to save the company, and one of that is our marriage."

I scoffed. Unable to believe that until now, Mona was still assuming that I was afraid of her. She won't easily let me bow down on her words this time. I'll attend the burial, retrieve my father's file, and stop the marriage. If she insists, I'll have to fight. But how...? Things happened quickly, that I didn't have enough time to make a plan.

^^. . . ^^

Pain on my abdomen woke me up, sending me straight to the toilet. While I vomited on the sink, I tried to maintain my balance as dizziness struck me and my vision turned into a blur. I shakily held my hands on the sink.