Chapter 16- The Truth Untold pt. 2

For the following days, I isolated myself from everyone. What happened recently was an issue at the office, my staff bombarding me with countless questions each time they saw me but Min-ho was able to silence them and asked for their cooperation.

Ever since that day after what happened, I wasn't able to sleep well. My past haunted me in my dreams. The screaming of my stepmother and her torturous actions gave me sleep paralysis every night. I still had fear of being dragged back to the mansion and being treated like a puppet.

I had been feeling guilty too because of what my father did. Because of it, I never went to Jungkook's photoshoots nor answered his calls. Lily knew what happened and tried to cover up for me when BTS asked about me. I wanted to distance myself from Jungkook for a while... no, not for a while... until I could gather the courage to tell him everything. Poor him... he too was being lied to. The worst thing was it was me who was deceived for not knowing the truth and even had the nerve to reunite with him.

It had been a week since I tried to avoid everybody. I rarely talked to Min-ho at the office and even stopped Lily from coming to see me. I had lots of things to sort out while I spent my time alone.

One evening, I was back from strolling at the park towards my apartment when Lily insisted on calling my phone for the nth time. This time, I gave up on her stubbornness and picked it up.

"Yah, when are you going to show up? Jungkook is already suspecting that something is wrong!"

"How is he?" I asked while slowly taking the stairs towards my door.

"Of course he's worried about you! You must at least take his calls, now he thinks he did something wrong!"

"Ahh, unnie. I can't face him yet. I feel very ashamed of myself," I sighed while shaking my head.

"Ji Hyo-ah, it is not your fault. It was your father who did it!"

"Even so. I feel like I had been part of hurting his family so much. Because of my father, I had to leave him behind and forced him to bear all the consequences alone!"

I heard Lily sigh from the other line. "I think it's time to tell him the truth. You can't just hide from him and leave him having a hard time."

"Should I? What if..." I began to worry. "What if that will end our friendship? What will happen to me now?"

Losing Jungkook again was something I could not bear. I worked hard to take him back, I escaped from New York to see him again... yet I never expected that an untold past would destroy everything from the start.

"Unnie... I'm afraid." Reaching the top of the stairs, I lifted my eyes to look ahead, my body suddenly turning numb as my vision caught the figure of the man standing restlessly in front of my apartment door.

"Shanshan? Are you there?"

"J-jungkook...?" My lips mumbled, my finger swiftly ending the call before Jungkook caught my presence and paced towards me. Once again, guilt flooded over me. Tears began to form in my eyes, threatening to fall as I looked at him.

"Shanshan!" His face expressed concern and worry, making me feel sorry for him. He must have had curious thoughts running through his mind the whole past days. "You have been avoiding my calls. Are you okay?"

Before he could come closer, I moved a step back, making him freeze from his tracks with shock. "W-why..." he stuttered as his hand tried to reach my sleeve reluctantly.

"JK, I'm tired. I need to be alone," I said, my eyes planted on the ground. I sighed nervously, wishing that he would just listen to what I said.

Yet with a firm stare and a serious tone, he walked up to me and spoke, "I won't go unless you tell me what's wrong."