-40-

Felicity

"Feli! Wait up" I stopped walking when I heard someone calling my name.

I turned to look who was it and saw Gwen coming out of her car.

"I thought you already left" she said once she neared me.

"I was just about to take the bus" I smiled but on the inside, I was having a debate with myself.

"There's no need for it. Let's have lunch together" she grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards her car.

"Thank you but it's okay. I'll grab something to eat on my way back" I politely tried to decline her offer and backed away from her car's door.

"Oh come on. I've a amazing place in mind. Let me show you" she clapped her in excitement.

It was hard to say no to her smiling face. But remembering all the things Asher said to me that day, made me want to do nothing but run far away from her.

•••

*Flashback

"Thank you" I took the shopping bags from his hands and placed them over my kitchen counter.

After we were done with my shopping, he straight drove me back to my apartment. He even helped me carry all my bags. There were so many that it looked like I haven't been shopped for months, but in reality it has only been weeks.

"You want to have a seat?" I offered him.

He nodded and I guided him towards my hall. He sat down on the sofa comfortably but his face and shoulders were all tensed up. Looking his state I felt hundred times more awful for being a stupid burden on him.

"Let me grab a cup of coffee for you" it was the least thing I could do.

But I wasn't able to take a step forward as he grabbed my wrist and ceased my movement.

"No. Have a seat"

I watched him carefully as I took a seat over his left side. For some unknown reason, my heart was beating fast while I waited for him to say something.

"Are you okay?" I asked cautiously.

"Stay away from Gwen" he said all of a sudden.

"Pardon?" My subconscious jumped after hearing him.

"You told me she was the one who saw me walking out of the party, when I never did. She lied for you to go out. She knew it was Victor"

"Um...Maybe she was mistaken. She must have thought it was you. And she did phoned you" I tried to explain the situation for my friend.

"No. She didn't" he said while handing me his phone, "You may check. I never received any calls from her"

'Did she really lied?'

I frowned at the black screen of his mobile, not wanting to check it and confirm my fear. Gwen is my friend. I don't know her that well, I know but she's nevertheless my friend. The only person I'm familiar to at work, other than my boss and his ex assistant.

"I-It doesn't make any sense" I stuttered, "Why would she do that? She don't even know about your rivalry with Victor. He's not even a businessman"

"Everyone in my company knows about us, about mafia. They just follow the code of omertà. They're well aware of Victor and his sick tricks. Gwen isn't exceptional" he said calmly.

I only sat there, at a loss to know why would she do anything to harm me. I was so confused right at that moment. What if he's correct about his doubt?