Chapter 1

AXEL'S P.O.V

"What did I tell you about touching things that aren't yours?!" She yells at me as a pair of bigger rough hands grip my small wrist and rip me from the couch.

"I'm sorry please!" I scream again hoping that she'll come and save me from his ruthlessness.

I see her coming into the kitchen, but she doesn't look sympathetic in the slightest.

"Shut up! Crying and begging for help won't do anything, haven't you realize that nobody cares about you and nobody will?! You're a piece of ungrateful shit!" He pushes me on a high chair on the kitchen island. Gripping my hand he rips the sleeve of my shirt and lays my hand across the counter.

"Maybe this will teach you to ask before getting something that isn't yours. You didn't buy those cookies did you?" I look down and let the tears stream like a river down my face.

"Did you?" he screams at my 8-year-old self.

"No, I'm sorry, " I whimper in a gentle voice while wiping my tears away. I know that my crying will make him angrier.

"Let's see if you'll ever do it again after this, " his voice so full of hatred that makes me wonder, what did I do to deserves this. The burning sensation of the cigarette being put off on the delicate skin of my arms makes me choke down on my sobs. It seems like my screams in agony and pleas to stop fall on deaf ears.

"Please, " my voice comes off like a whisper after all the screaming I did.

Finally, after what felt like a lifetime he stops and grips my wrist again dragging me up to my room as I try to match his pace falling and stumbling all the way up the stairs.

"Now you stay there, with no food for the rest of the day. You're grounded!" he yells and shut harshly the door behind him locking it.

I clutch my arm to my chest and let the tears fall on the wounds to soothe them as I try to soothe my small broken heart.

"Axel!"

"Axel! Wake up! You have class in an hour!"

I groan and put an arm over my eyes. I can feel the sweat dripping down my forehead and my rapid heart going wild.

"Good morning Hun," Rebecca says.

She is the third and last foster parent I have. Yay! 

"Morning," I decided not to be too rude today.

"Breakfast is ready, it's already 10 am, you need to get up," she says.

I sigh and sit upon my bed gripping the bottom of my shirt and wiping my forehead. Reaching for my phone on the bedside table, I say to her to get out of my room too tired and too drain for this happy bubbly woman.

I don't look up at her and just read the messages my friends' drunk text me last night instead. They don't make any fucking sense.

"Axel," she calls out to me like usual, wanting to play family, but I'm not in the mood for this shit so I just ignore her once again.

I hear her sigh and footsteps getting further and further away from my room. At least she closes the door when she leaves.

I throw my phone on the bed and get up to get ready for the day. I have a lecture in an hour. I have a quick shower cause I still stink of alcohol from last night and brush my teeth almost gagging at the strong minty scent of this toothpaste. I need to buy a new one. I throw on a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a bomber jacket.