71.

Edward stares at the screen. It's simple. And nothing really. It could be a mistake. Meant for someone else. He trying really hard not to read too much into this. But it's Bambi. He takes a seat at the desk, his fingers hovering over the letters on the keyboard. But he's missed her. Immeasurably. He feels like he left a piece of himself back there with her. And he can't imagine his life without her in it. The break up was a mistake, the long-distance was a mistake. There were mistakes made but he can fix them. Right now. He can fix it all. Win back the love of his life. His soul mate. His one and only. His...Juliet. He rolls his eyes knowing that Bambi would find that comparison ridiculous and hilarious all at once. Edward smiles a little. This could be her reaching out. Despite everything, if this is her reaching out, he can't waste it. He leans closer to his laptop and types away his reply.

............

"Why did I do that?" Bambi asks herself, eyes wide, heart beating erratically in her chest. "Why the hell did I do that?" she whines and looks back to the screen. "Don't write back, don't write back" she stares at her screen. "Just ignore it...It didn't happen. Don't write back" She lets out a breath and closes her eyes seeing the pending message icon disappear. "Good" she whispers. "It's better like this" she adds. Relieved. Until her laptop pings announcing the arrival of a message. "No" she whines throwing her head back. "No, why...." she covers her face with her hands and then risks a glance to the screen. "Why did you reply?" she asks the computer. "You should have ignored me...." she takes a deep breath and then lets herself read the message. She smiles and rolls her eyes softly. She can't help it. Even just this simple message has her heart fluttering in her chest. She misses him. More than anything. Her smile turns sad and tears gather in her eyes. This isn't fair. She bites her lip and takes a breath. This can be it. Break it off again, cut off all ties, or rekindle what they had together, something she's never had before, something amazing. But what future would they have? Her being what she is, him being what he is. Natural enemies. She scoffs and laughs bitterly. Romeo and Juliet. Probably not the best idea to compare herself to Juliet given how that story turned out. "Okay," she whispers. "Make a choice" she scolds herself. "This is it...choose" she orders herself. Do it. Do it. Do it. She chants in her head. She pushes herself away from the computer instead. She paces the length of her floor. Flashes of her time with Edward. The laughter. The warmth. The love. The pain. The stress. Bella's words echo through her; 'You always had to do things differently to everyone else', Bambi smiles and looks down. "I love my sister" Bambi states warmly and moves back to her computer.

...............

Edward smiles seeing Bambi's reply before he reaches for his phone. She re-opened that line of communication. He scrolls through his contacts and lands on hers before dialing. He stands and starts to pace as it rings. He knows she'll probably be arguing with herself over answering. He relaxes hearing the call connect.

"Hey" he greets warmly. "I am really glad you reached out"

"I'm not 100% convinced this is a good idea" Bambi counters. "Just...." she sighs. "I missed you and things have....things have been difficult"

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asks.

"I....don't think I can tell you" she whispers. "It's nothing personal but I just..." she lets out a breath. "This was a mistake, I'm sorry I shouldn't have called"

"No, no, don't hang up" he begs. "Please don't hang up, we can talk about anything you want...just..." he closes his eyes. "Bambi?" he asks and waits.

"I'm still here" she assures him quietly. "What do you want to talk about?"

"How is your family?" he asks.

"They're fine" she answers. "Yours?"

"Fine" he answers her softly. "Connor....took off, he's...suffering"

"Oh...shame" she mumbles, he chuckles.

"You don't have to pretend, you can smile over it if you want" she chuckles weakly.

"Well, 'm not his biggest fan, that is true. How's his face?" Edward smiles hearing the snark in her tone.

"Scarred..." he answers.

"Can you guys scar?" she asks him.

"Apparently when someone hits us hard enough we can" he answers, he can hear her smiling. "I've never witnessed anything like that before..." he offers warmly.

"It was just a punch" she mumbles.

"It was still amazing" he assures her. "Have you thought any more about London?" he asks her, she takes a breath.

"I don't think that's an option anymore" she answers. "I don't think it was me"

"Bambi" he whispers. "I don't understand, you were so excited..."

"Things change" she counters sadly. "People change" she adds. Edward looks down, thinking he is the reason for her change of heart. But she can't leave, not with what she is now, not with her 'duty' to the land and to her pack. The risk of wolfing out in public in London around people who don't understand or accept her. She's stuck where she is. 

A/N -  I wasn't originally planning on getting the two of them back into contact until after Edward and the Cullens returned but this just kind of happened. Not sure how I feel about it tbh, kind of mixed opinion.