||CHAPTER 20||

A second passed, then a minute, and then an hour

I laid on my bed, staring up at the ceiling above me.

My hair was hanging by my shoulders, and though I wanted to call Jughead I thought that it would only make things worse.

There was a knock at my door, and I shut my eyes assuming it was one of my parents.

"Go away!" I yelled.

"It's just me," Polly's voice said, "and Chic."

I hesitated. What if Mom and Dad were with them?

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes," Chic's voice said, "now let us in, Betty."

Slowly, I got up and opened the door.

Polly and Chic stood, and they hurried inside my room.

I closed the door behind us, locking it for the second time tonight.

"Betty, we know that it's your business but-" Polly said while taking a seat on my bed "we're worried about you."

"I'm not pregnant," I told them "I took the test, it said negative and I got my period this morring."

Both of them blew out sighs of relief.

"So you are having sex?" Chic asked.

"It was only once," I told them.

"That still means something," Polly said.

I crossed my arms "I'll tell you who the person is if you promise not to tell Mom and Dad."

Chic and Polly exchanged a look, and then they both nodded.

I turned to her "Polls, do you know a guy at school named Jughead?"

Polly hesitated, then her eyes widened.

"Yeah, I do," she said, "wait...that's the guy?"

I nodded.

"Okay, who the hell is Jughead?" Chic asked.

"One of the South Side High transfers," Polly told him.

Chic looked at me "Betty...if Mom finds out-"

"I know, I know!" I said, "that's why we kept our relationship a secret."

"You're in a secret realtionship?!" Chic exclaimed, "and I thought Polly was the only one in the family who did that."

Polly gave him a death stare.

"Wait, Chic knows about you and Jason?" I asked.

Polly nodded "even though our family might be screwed up, you're the only people I can count on."

"But...Jughead does seem like a nice kid" she continued "remember that day when Cheryl poured a milkshake over that girl Toni? Well, I went into the Girls bathroom to see if she was okay. Jughead was there with her, and he asked if I was your sister. He claimed you guys were in the same Science class."

I found myself smiling "well, that part is true."

I didn't think anyone else would've understood me seeing a Serpent, but Polly always saw the good in other people, and Chic always trusted me to do the right thing.

Polly was right. Even though our family was screwed up, at least we had each other. 

"But Betty, can you promise us both something?" Chic asked.

I nodded "anything."

"Promise that you'll be safe with this Serpent" Polly added, "and if he's dangerous, you need to get away from him."

I hesitated, then finally answered:

"Promise."