||CHAPTER 8||

🐍JUGHEAD'S POV🐍

🐍JUGHEAD'S POV🐍

A few days after the whole lunch incident, my Dad and I went on a ride together.

We both sat on our bikes, staring into nature.

"Jug, I actually wanted to talk to you about something" my Dad started.

I looked at him, not saying a word.

"You've been heir to the Serpent throne for a while now" he started "and I'm growing older, and soon enough I'm not going to be able to lead them all. So eventually, I'm going to need someone to take that place."

I shut my eyes and squeezed them. I knew where he was going.

The truth was, I didn't want to lead the Serpents.

I wanted to go to college, and then be a writer.

And I wanted to be with Betty too.

I didn't know why I included her, we probably weren't going to last long, anyway.

But I couldn't deny that I was falling hard for her already.

And I knew there was nothing I could do about it. 

"Jughead I have faith in you" he continued "I wouldn't be asking you this if I thought you weren't capable. I know you can lead those Serpents and-"

"What if I don't want to lead the Serpents?!" I interupped "what if I want to do something else?"

Dad stopped, looking at me "what do you mean? Jug you've always wanted this."

"I used too" I corrected "but people grow up Dad. They change."

"Usually people change for a reason," he said "is this because of a girl? Is it Toni?"

"No! Toni and I are just friends" I told him.

"But is it because of some girl?" He asked.

"Partly" I replied quietly.

"Jug. You can't let someone like that take over your life" he told me.

My expression hardened, and I started to grow angry.

"She isn't! I'm in total control of my life!" I snapped "it isn't all about her either. I don't want to spend my whole life in Riverdale leading some dumb gang. I want to leave and go to college, I want to get a degree, and I want to be a writer. So  stop trying to take over my life!"

"Hey! Boy, don't snap at me like that!" He replied, "and I'm not taking over your life, I thought being Serpent King was your dream."

"Well, you thought wrong," I said.

I put on my helmet and started my motorcycle while hearing my Dad yell my name and tell me to stop.

But I drove away regardless of what he told me.  

Because I was done caring.