Trial without error

Chapter 58

Trial without error

"I cannot believe that I stayed the entire night." Audrey said as she searched through her purse for her key.

"Come on, so we got a little carried away." Adam said with a small smile, "it's not like Mira was home alone, she has the dog, remember?"

Last night she had just experienced had been completely amazing. First they had had a delicious dinner at Adam's apartment with a fine red wine, they had danced to some of her favorite songs, then Adam had knocked everything off the table and threw her on it.

He had worked hard to show Audrey that he wanted things between them to be better. Just like they had done in high school, he had picked her up, driven her home, and walked her to the front door.

After three rounds in the sack, Audrey and Adam had been too exhausted to drive her home, so she ended up sleeping in the apartment with him. She had been furious that she had left Mira alone all by herself.

"That's not the point, Adam." She snapped, shoving the key into the lock and twisting it. She walked into the house

Adam and Audrey failed to notice that Seth's car was parked across the street.

"Hello?" Audrey called out softly, seeing as it was still early. She was greeted with silence. She knew that Matt and Marli had stayed at friend's houses. Mira was probably still sleeping. She turned to her husband, "You can come inside if you want."

Adam smiled and walked into the house. Audrey set her purse on the small table by the door and sighed.

"I'm going to go check on Mira." Audrey said. Adam nodded.

"I'll go with you. I want to see her."

When Seth woke up the next morning, he knew immediately he was not in his bed. All he saw was blonde hair and pink walls. It took him a moment to realize that he was in bed with Mira. The girl lay on her side with her back against his chest, his arm resting on her waist.

This was the second time they had slept in the same bed together, and he was always the first to wake up. It was nice, peaceful even, to just lie there and watched her sleep. During the day, Mira kept a sunny and happy disposition, but he knew that underneath it was a layer of stress. When she slept, she looked so innocent and angelic that it stirred something inside of him.

Looking over his shoulder, he saw the red boxy letters on her alarm clock shine 7:36. With a small sigh, he let his eyes roam around the room.

He knew what today was; the last day of the trial between Jake Peterson and the state. He was just thankful that neither he nor Mira had had to take the stand. And from what Leda had been telling him, the odds of their side winning were very good.

"Enjoying the view?" Mira suddenly asked; her voice thick with sleep. He lifted his head up in time for her to look at him over her blanketed shoulder and give him a smile.

"I was." He answered. "You drool in your sleep."

Mira blushed and discreetly wiped her cheek with the back of her hand. "Do not." she mumbled. He just smiled smugly and rested his head back on the pillow.

"Looks like we slept through the entire night." He commented.

"I'm surprised my mom didn't check on me and freak out." She said with a small laugh. He chuckled and ran his hand down her arm. The girl's skin was smooth and warm from sleep.

Mira looked back over her shoulder and smiled at him. "I'm really glad that you stayed. It was nice, not being all by myself for once."

Seth smiled back and bumped his forehead against hers, "No problem."