Chapter 26.

JENNIE

It's almost 9pm when I came back home. I went to the back door and hopefully Lisa's friends already left.

"Jennie?"

I gasped. "Mom? You're still awake."

"Lisa is waiting for you at the front door but I know you will enter from here." she scoffed. "Can we talk?" She pulled me back outside and hold my hand tightly.

"What is it mom?"

"You never told her, aren't you?" she squinted her eyes.

"No mom. I decided not to." I sighed.

"I won't meddle with your relationship. I've seen what you've been through but I hope you're making the right decision."

I took some time to respond before I nodded. I've been wanting to tell her since that day she entered in my office. But there's no point if she won't remember me.

"I'm so sorry, Jennie." she caressed my arms. "I wish I can help. I'm one of those who witnessed how you loved each other. She even marry you just to prove it. And Aria.... Your daughter..."

"I'm really glad that you took care of her, mom."

"I loved to. She's a reminder that you and Lisa were once together. I even remember that time you two begged me to adopt her because both of you are still studying." she chuckled. "But you two always find a way."

She pulled me for a hug when she noticed my tears are threatening to fall from my eyes. "We felt empty when you left but we can't blame you either. You deserve a break from everything that happened."

"Thank you mom. I missed you too so much." my tears fell down and I started to sob on her shoulders.

"We missed you too, sweetheart." she caressed my back to comfort me.

"Mommy..." a little voice called me from behind.

I wiped my tears first before I pulled away from mom's arms and face Aria.

"What is it baby?" I bent my knees to level with her.

"What are you doing here outside with grandma?" She asked while touching my face. "Did you cry? Did Lisa make you cry?"

"No, baby." I shook my head. "I'm just happy that we finally saw each other. Now, isn't it time for bed?"

She grinned.

I carry Aria in her room and lay her on the bed. She hugged her dragon plushies beside her then I cover her with blanket.

"Sing me a song mommy."

"What song baby?"

"You know the dragon song? Lisa used to sing that for me before I sleep but she forgot because her friends came."

"Okay, let me try." I lay beside her then she bury her head on my chest.

Play The Dragon Song by Bonnie Prince Billy

"🎶Go north, go north with wings on your feet
Go north with the wind where the three rivers meet..."

She looked at me lovingly while I sing to her and stroking her hair.

"🎶There's a clearing of sorts in the circle of trees
Where the wild constellations shine one, two, and three"

Then she opened her mouth to sing along with me.
"🎶Look all around you and see
Deep in the forest, there dragons will be."