Chapter 73: We'll Get Through This

Heyyyy

Heyyyy. How we feelin' after that last chapter, guys? 😌

-

-

Selena stands back as the doctor checks on Miguel and Carmen feeds him. "You're progressing nicely. How does this feel?" the doctor voices as he holds Miguel's wrist, moving his arm back and forth. "Yeah," the boy responds. "Yeah? What about this?" the doctor asks, rubbing his fingers. "Normal," Miguel answers. "Great," the man replies before moving onto his legs. Carmen shovels a spoonful of food into her son's mouth and Selena smiles at the sight.

"Yaya's so excited. She's at home cooking up a storm. Tupperwares full of dulce de leche," Carmen cheerfully informs the boy, making him grin. "That's great, ma," Miguel replies. Carmen turns to Selena and adds, "mija, you should join us for dinner." The girl grins, flattered by the invitation. 

"I'd love to," she responds, making both Carmen and Miguel beam. Meanwhile, the doctor grabs the boy's foot, rolling his ankle. "How about this?" he asks. Miguel shakes his head, his eyebrows furrowed. "No," he replies. "How about this?" the man asks again, poking his toes with a pen.

Miguel stays silent for a second as he stares at his foot. "No," he states. "That's... that's okay," the doctor claims, covering the boy's legs with the blanket. Selena becomes concerned as she studies his body language. I have a feeling it's not okay, she thinks. Not having feeling in your feet isn't a good sign. "You said the scans were okay, right?" Carmen pipes up. "Yes, yes," the doctor confirms, smiling. "Am I gonna be able to do karate again?" Miguel asks him hopefully. The man chuckles. "One day at a time. I'm gonna borrow your mom for a second, okay?"

"Okay," whispers Miguel while the man tells the woman, "come on." Carmen sets the tupperware down on the bed and says, "let me turn on the TV." She grabs the remote and turns the TV on. "I think the Dodgers played last night," she tells her son before walking off. Miguel smiles at her, scrunching his nose. The woman grins at the young girl before leaving the room with the doctor and Selena goes to stand at Miguel's bedside. She sends him a playful grin and picks up the container, scooping some rice with the spoon.

"Aquí viene el avión! Brrrr! [Here comes the airplane! Brrrr!]" she says in a singsong voice, waving the spoon through the air in a circular motion before moving it toward the boy's mouth. Miguel laughs but opens his mouth, letting her put the spoon in. "Mmm!" the girl hums as if she's talking to a baby. 

The boy rolls his eyes and chuckles. "Que chistosa [How funny]," he sarcastically states, making Selena laugh. Miguel turns his head to look out the window, his smile disappearing as he watches his mom and the doctor. Selena follows his line of sight, spotting them as well.

They see Carmen become visibly upset, obviously shocked by whatever the doctor told her. The woman covers her mouth, sobbing into her hands. Frowns form on the teens' faces, having an idea of what the doctor said. Miguel slowly turns his head to look at his feet before turning to the girl. She gazes back at him with sad eyes, not knowing what to say. "Sel?" the boy weakly chokes out, hoping she could make him believe that there is no bad news. The girl opens her mouth to speak but no words come out. What is she supposed to tell him?