Chapter 10: What, You're Gonna Hit Me?

Selena, Demetri, and Eli made plans to do their English homework together in the library, and they let Miguel tag along. Selena invited Ethan but he claimed to be busy. The girl's not sure if it should bother her more but it doesn't. She's just happy to spend time with this trio... especially Miguel, she loves his company. She sits in between him and Eli as they work on their assignments. "Hey," she speaks up, nudging Miguel's side. "I was thinking, I could be your bodyguard," she says with a playful smile. The boy scoffs, returning the smile. "What?" he chuckles. "Yeah! Like I told you, I know karate. If anyone tries to hurt you, I could beat them up for you," Selena jokes, making Miguel laugh more and shake his head.

Eli perks up at this. "You know karate?" he curiously asks. The girl turns to him and nods. "Mm-hmm," she affirms with a kind smile. The dirty-blonde boy doesn't reply, he just slightly nods as he keeps his stare fixated on her. Wow, dance and karate. What can't she do? He wonders. She seems to be perfect in his eyes. "So that's it? No more karate for you?" Demetri acknowledges Miguel. "I guess so," Miguel replies as he writes, not looking up from the page in front of him. Demetri shrugs. "It's probably for the best. It was starting to boost your confidence," he mentions. Selena gives him a weird face. "Isn't that a good thing?" she and Miguel simultaneously ask.

"No. What has confidence ever gotten anybody except for a black eye and their backpack thrown in the trash?" Demetri retorts as if the answer is obvious. Selena feels a bit sad that he feels that way. She hopes people start treating him better and that he'll grow out of that mindset soon and allow himself to feel confident. "Well, I thought it was kind of cool how you stood up to Kyler," Eli tells Miguel. Selena glances at him in confusion. "Kyler?" she asks. Realization hits her and she sharply turns to Miguel. "Kyler's the one who hit you, isn't he??" she voices. Miguel sighs in defeat but remains quiet, thus confirming the girl's suspicion. She scoffs, thinking about that unsettling feeling she's always had about Kyler.

I can't let Sam date a bully, she thinks. "Are you insane???" Demetri pipes up, catching everyone's attention. He leans forward in Eli's direction. "Let me ask you. What is the best superpower anyone could have?" he quizzes. This is a hard question, the girl thinks. "Super strength," Miguel answers. "Super speed or probability manipulation," Selena speaks at the same time. She's always found The Flash's super speed awesome and wished she had his powers but she loves the idea of manipulating probability like the Scarlet Witch. Demetri points at Miguel and states, "wrong" before pointing at Selena next. "Super speed is a distant second but the correct answer is invisibility," he concludes.

Miguel and Selena exchange a look. "Why is super speed second? That's way cooler than invisibility," the girl questions. "Easy. To run away fast," Demetri explains. Or to reverse time, Selena thinks. "Run away from who?" a new voice jumps in, making the four turn their heads. Selena turns to her left, Kyler's face a few inches away from hers as he leans over Eli's shoulder. Her face instantly goes hard. Miguel quietly groans when he notices the boy. "Whom," Brucks corrects him. Kyler gives him a quizzical look. "It's the object of preposition. Remember English class-" he explains, getting cut off by Miguel's voice. "We were just leaving," he announces as they all scramble to their feet.

As they try to walk away, Kyler roughly pulls Eli back by the back of his head. "Hey, where you going?" he asks. He grabs his face with his other hand and pipes up, "oh, look at this freak. Oh, shit!" Brucks laughs as Kyler taunts the dirty blonde. "What kind of girl would ever kiss this shit...? Shit," he pokes fun. Selena is about to step forward until Miguel's voice stops her. "Leave him alone, Kyler." Kyler glares at him and harshly lets go of Eli, intimidatingly approaching Miguel. "What'd you say?" he jeers. Miguel goes quiet as the bully gets closer. Selena instantly stands in front of him defensively, glaring daggers at Kyler.