chapter one hundred four

Ben couldn't stop smiling. Obviously Claudia couldn't either, but it was something about her that made Ben feel like he had just won at life. After dinner, Ben drove back to Edward's house where Janis and Edward were seated outside on the patio swing.

"I know for a fact those two are gonna start planning a wedding when we tell them the news," Ben turned off the engine of the car. "Maybe Lucy too when we tell her."

"Sounds about right." Claudia grabbed her bag. As she was about to open the door, Ben told her not to so he could open it for her. She laughed when she saw him run to her side of the car just to open the door.

"Miss Donovan," he grabbed her hand as she got up from the seat.

"Why thank you, Benjamin."

They walked towards the house. As she got closer, Claudia noticed how sad Janis and Edward looked. Were they breaking up? She hoped they wouldn't, Edward was Janis' only real relationship that ended up working out. Plus, Edward was fun to be around.

"Hey, you okay?" Claudia asked her mom. She held onto Ben's hand a little too tight. Ben stayed closed. He didn't care if she was crushing his hand, he cared about her feelings at the moment.

"Ben, thanks for bringing my girl home." Janis sniffled.

Suddenly, Edward got u. "Uh, Ben, we should go inside. They need to talk." He gestured to the mother and daughter.

"Is everything okay?" Claudia asked, letting go of Ben's hand. Ben walked inside the house with Edward, who felt like he was lost after hearing what Janis had to say.

Janis wiped her tear away. "Sit down, Claudia, I have some news. Don't know how you'll take it. But I just have to tell you."

Claudia immediately sat down next to her mom and grabbed the older woman's hands for comfort. "What is it, ma?"

"Do you remember the only thing I told you about Donna Donovan?"

"Apart from being a shitty mom, junkie and a horrible human being, yeah, she had alzheimers. What's wrong?" Claudia started to worry.

"It runs in the family, Claudia, it's official. A doctor confirmed it weeks ago, I didn't want to tell you then because I was scared, but Edward convinced me that I had to do it sooner rather than later. I don't want to forget you or the extraordinary things you've accomplished, my sweet girl, and everything that your future holds. If, by any chance, I don't get to hold those beautiful kids of yours, don't be sad, okay? I guess it wasn't meant for me to be a cool grandma. At least I know I was a cooler mom to an awesome beautiful girl." Janis spoke. As she did, Claudia teared up.

"We can still make it . . . I can find a great doctor, you'll get the best care." Claudia sobbed.

Janis took one of her hands and cupped Claudia's cheek. "They'll say the same thing as the other doctors. I'm okay, I just want to be with you. You are the one thing I did right in this world, my little miracle. I thought I would be a horrible mom since mine wasn't the greatest example to follow, but I managed and everytime i look at you, i say 'i did a good job, but my girl did an ever better job'. It's okay, Claudia," Janis let Claudia lean on her shoulder then grabbed the girl's hand, pressing a small kiss to the back of it. "It's okay, my sweet girl. I'm okay."

"Who else knows?" Claudia said in a whisper like voice.

Janis sighed deeply. "My Edward, Lara and Layna. Still have to tell Nate. I'm guessing you'll do the honors of telling your boyfriend."

"I was going to tell you when we got here, but your news made me forget." Claudia lightly chuckled.

"You didn't have to tell me, I knew the second I saw your smile." Janis let Claudia place her head on her lap. The two women remained silent, a comfortable one. Janis didn't tell Claudia, but she had already started writing her bucket list, most of it written in glitter crayons.

"I'm proud of you, mom," Claudia said, staring right ahead.

"It feels nice hearing that. Never got that when I was a kid. That's why I made sure you heard it constantly." Janis played with Claudia's hair, something she did to comfort the blonde when she was upset, nervous or tired.

"You're an amazing mother, always were."

"You now, the second I found out I was pregnant with you, I cursed Nate. I was angry at myself for letting it happen, but I'm glad it did because now I have you, I got lucky. Also I wanted to prove to my own shitty mom that I could do everything she failed to do. I think I did a good job raising you." Janis laughed.

"You got sober and raised me, you did great." Claudia said.

Janis frowned, she then stopped playing with Claudia's hair and cleared her throat. "Yeah, I guess I did."

Sober. It wasn't a complete lie. Janis did get sober, but she couldn't resist. One bottle then two then three then almost the entire liquor store. It started early into her motherhood days with baby Claudia. One day, she couldn't get Claudia to stop crying then Janis was going through her fridge trying to find her beer she purposely hid from herself.

Janis Donovan was living with a lie her whole life and she felt guilty.