chapter seventy seven.

"Claudia?"

The blonde woman was on her knees on the cold floor. The first thing she saw when she entered her classroom was the essay on the floor. She immediately grabbed it, straightened it out as best as she could without ripping it. She kept staring at the piece of paper, wondering what happened. She was only gone for a few minutes and yet something that broke her heart managed to happen in seconds.

"Claudia," Ben approached her slowly, "what's wrong?" He put a hand on her back and she slowly got up.

"My kid . . . They passed away and the only thing I have left of them is this letter. It was over here," she pointed her finger to the wall that the paper was pinned to. "i . . . I'm not sure . . ."

Ben saw the state she was in. She couldn't form complete sentences or even stand right so he guided her to her chair behind her desk. He then took off his jacket and placed it around her shoulders. "Hey, but you found it before someone else did and threw it in the bin. It's safe with you." He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. It was something familiar to Claudia, Ben kissing the back of her hand.

"Yeah, but . . It couldn't have fallen on it's own. It's been up there for so long and it decides that it just wants to fall today? It doesn't make sense. Why? I wasn't gone that long. Garrett was—" Claudia stopped her rambling when she realized only one person was in her classroom after she left to meet Ben.

She stood up quickly, pushing past Ben and walked out of her classroom the turned to her left where Garrett's classroom was. She ignored Ben's shouting of her name and continued walking, determined to find out if Garrett knew something.

But when she got to Garrett's classroom, it was locked. She tried knocking several times, but no one answered the door.

You little bitch, thought Claudia.

Ben caught up with her. "Why are you walking so fast? I think I need to take a breather," he exhaled loudly.

"It's not that long of a distance, you go to the gym." Claudia commented.

"Woman, you walked so fast for someone who is five foot five,"

Claudia glanced at him. "What?"

"Nothing," Ben cleared his throat, "but why are you knocking really loudly and look like you're about to make Janis proud if you throw something out of a window."

"Because I might if my theory is correct." Claudia replied. She looked at Garrett's closed door.

"And that is?" Ben questioned.

"Well someone is curious today."

"Kind of, yes. I want to know if I have to bail you out of jail, that's why. I don't want you to go to jail before you get the chance to meet my family," Ben joked. But he was serious at the same time. If Claudia ever ended up in jail, he wouldn't hesitate to get her out. And they say romance is dead.

"I don't know. Let me spend a night and then I'll have something interesting to talk to your mother about instead of being a boring English teacher." Claudia nudged his arm as they walked back to her classroom.

Ben placed his arm around her. He smirked at her. "Well, I do have a major crush on this English teacher who cares alot about her kids and knows how to roller skate."

"Shut up," Claudia laughed.

"And she likes Twilight, books and has a lovely voice that I could listen to all day. . . "

"You are so lucky I like you." Claudia blushed.

All Ben could feel was happiness at that moment. Everything was going great for him. His career, family, friends and now he was even happier knowing that the woman he had feelings for also felt that same way.

"You better." Ben kissed her.

An: hey bitches here's my ben and claudia playlist <3

idk what more songs to add so give me suggestions rn or I'll kidnap your cat or dog 😘