chapter eleven.

Edward was looking down at his journal that had all his important dates like meetings and of course, actual dates with Janis. Those had hearts drawn on them. Speaking of Janis, she had texted him about 'the british mystery guy' that Claudia was convinced liked English class.

Ben Barnes. Claudia couldn't stop thinking about him even though they had bumped into each other only once. She liked everything about him from the sound of his voice to his height. She was a sucker for tall guys.

"Layna," called out Edward from his home office. Seconds later Layna entered the room with one headphone in. She made sure not to step on the piles of work he had scattered on the ground. Edward had always been a messy person and Layna definitely didn't get that from him. She kept things organized as best as she could.

"Yeah?"

"Janis said if we want to go over to her house for dinner on Friday. She's making anything you want." Edward adjusted his glasses on his face.

"Uh, sure. You think she's okay with making Chicken Alfredo?"

Edward nodded. "I'll ask, but knowing her, she'll make anything."

"Cool," was all Layna replied before she walked out of her dad's office.

"Love you!" Edward yelled.

"Love you, dad!" He heard the voice of his daughter.

Back in her room, Layna jumped on her bed and resumed her call with Claudia. The two girls had been on talking for almost an hour and they were still going.

"Looks like I'm going to your house on Friday. Watch out, I might borrow another book," said Layna.

"Go ahead, maybe this weekend we can go book shopping. I need to fill my shelfs. They look so sad." Claudia replied. "Did Edward say anything about you know who?"

"Calm down chosen one. You're not a witch."

"And that's the sad part. But did he?"

Layna sighed. "No, but I could always sneak around, listen in, be stealthy like a ninja."

Claudia laughed. She liked that Layna was starting to be herself around her. "You tripped over nothing the other day. Literal air! I don't think you can be like a ninja."

"Words can hurt."

Before the girls could resume with their conversation, Edward knocked on Layna's door. "Come in!" Layna said. Edward opened the door. He had several papers in his hands that looked like scripts.

"Lay, I might need to go to set tomorrow morning. They need me, said it was important. I won't be home for two days. I could drop you off with Janis and Claudia or a friend." Edward explained.

Layna was used to him being away from her. He sometimes spent a whole month away from her during school. She was babysat by her aunt and she dreaded it. Her aunt kept trying to invite her to a book club she had. It was old ladies talking about their failed relationships. Layna had to pass multiple times.

"Janis and Claudia! Yeah, I'll go over to their's." Layna smiled.

Edward snapped his finger. "The Donovan's are life savers. I'll talk to Janis. Start packing, kid." Before Layna could tell him that Claudia was on the phone, Edward had left to go back to his messy office.

"Yeah, start packing kid. I'll set up the guest room," Claudia said. "oh, you can help me grade."

"Eh, how about your new man helps you with that? He looks like he's good with numbers."

"Dude, he's not my man. And I barely know his name—"

Layna interrupted the teacher. "It's Ben Barnes. You're a teacher. Don't they use Google to, you know, Google stuff?"

"I rarely Google actors. I search up educational stuff!"

"Ben Barnes is educational. He played Dorian Gray, Prince Caspian and he's going to play a comic book character. The man is a walking book. There, educational!"