chapter six

The dinner went as good as it could go. Layna and Claudia enjoyed talking about books while Janis and Edward admired how they got along. That night, Claudia felt like she was a four year old again having dinner with her family as cliche as that sounded. She never had dinners with her dad, but somehow having Layna and Edward with her at the dinner table made her feel special.

When Layna and Edward left, Claudia couldn't stop talking about how cool Edward's job was. Janis was glad that Claudia liked Edward. She was even more glad that Claudia got along with Layna. Both parents were worried, but it turned out really well.

Saturday morning came quickly. Claudia had woken up a bit later than usual. She took her laptop down to the kitchen and saw Janis making breakfast that looked like it could feed a whole army. Claudia placed her laptop on the table and opened it to check her email.

"Morning you little monster." Janis placed a juice box beside the laptop. "Edward and Layna are coming over for breakfast so..." she looked at the table full of food. "Don't eat anything until they get here."

Claudia grabbed the juice box and pushed the tiny straw through. "You realize Layna is not five, right? She doesn't need juice boxes anymore."

Janis shook her head. "Oh, honey, no. Those aren't for her, you told me you wanted juice boxes. You even put them on the grocery list. You gave me the brand name and what aisle to find them at Target."

Claudia innocently sipped on her juice box. "Anyways..."

While she replied to an email from her boss, the doorbell rang. Janis ran to the door, almost tripping when she got to the door, and opened it. "Hi, breakfast is ready. I hope you like omelets."

Layna ran past Janis after saying a quick good morning and sat beside Claudia, almost slamming the book on the table. "Hey, I finished it."

Claudia almost choked on her juice. "Didn't you just start it yesterday? It took me a week to finish it. Did you even sleep at all last night?"

Layna grinned. "I had to finish this!"

"Your sleep schedule is messed up." Claudia shook her head, shutting off her laptop and putting it aside so she could eat breakfast.

"Says the one who works as a teacher." Layna teased.

Janis and Edward joined the two girls. Finally, they would all eat breakfast. Layna kept bringing up how the book she just finished reading was better than the last book she read, while Claudia listened attentively. Janis and Edward were both lost, but still payed attention to what the teenager had to say.

"Well, that's great, Layna. My mom didnt care about books." Janis said which made Layna gasp while Claudia nodded and whispered a 'that's sad' to her mom. "I only read zines my friend and I made. We would give them out at concerts we would go and sometimes we would take them to fra parties and give them to people."

"Wow." Claudia and Layna said, clearly Layna was more interested than Claudia.

"I read, but not as much as these two. But, speaking of reading. Claudia, Janis called me and told me you think my job is cool. I pulled some strings and you guys can come on set, hang out. I have a few people I have to meet with for an upcoming project, but it'll be quick. Unless you're busy, then we can arrange some other day—" Claudia practically screamed, but held in her excitement.

"That's a yes." Janis laughed.

After breakfast, Claudia and Janis got ready to visit the set Edward was currently working on. The drive to the set was short, but to Claudia it seemed like an eternity. Edward told several security guards that he had guests with him so they let him through easily.

"Okay, I have a casting meeting in a few minutes, but I'll be back. Layna knows where everything is, so she'll show you around. Have fun." Edward grabbed a script and his water bottle then walked with some people that Claudia figured were other producers.

Claudia looked around and saw multiple people working on different things. She saw people in trailers, other with mics on and some working on the sets. This was very different from what she was used to at the school. She was constantly surrounded by teenagers that she forgot how to act around adults.

"Mom, that things is giving me a fear of heights." Claudia pointed to a tall building some men were constructing.

"Stop overreacting. Oh?" Janis looked away from the building to see a man a couple years older than Claudia, but looked younger at the same time. When it came to ages, Janis always had the right answer, but the man she had her attention on was giving her second thoughts.

Claudia kept looking at the building. "I mean, what if someone actually falls and hurts themselves? Can they sue someone?"

Layna joined Janis in trying to figure out the age of the mystery man while completely ignoring Claudia. "Maybe early thirties?"

Janis shook her head. "Nah, I think I see a gray hair from here."

Layna shrugged her shoulders. "Late forties?"

"Not that old!"

"If you sue someone, how much money can you get?" Claudia questioned, but received no answer.

The mystery man was slowly approaching them whic meant Janis and Layna had to stop trying to guess his age. They acted as if they weren't talking about him as he was getting closer to them.

"Also how can you not be afraid of heights with that thing—" Claudia turned around to get her mom's attention, but was met with a tall figure in her way. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry, I just came up to you while you were admiring that set." The man saw how tall the building was. "Wow, that's tall."

"Right? I just had a fear of heights just by looking at it." Claudia nodded.

"Uh, I was wondering if you knew where Edward Reagan is?" She didnt realize

Layna stepped in when she saw how confused Claudia looked. "Edward is my dad. He's in the casting office. Go down that hallway right there then make a right. There's arrows if you get lost."

"Thank you. Excuse me, I have a meeting to get to. Again, thank you and I hope you get over that fear of heights!" Claudia heard the man with british accent say then wave goodbye to her and Layna.

"Oh my god, that man is beautiful." Claudia said to herself as she kept watching him walk away.

"Hmm shame you didnt get his name." Layna teased.

"Shit!"

An: ricky montgomery's album is what keeps me going