-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓-

𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐆𝐈𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌
𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀, 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐀
1992

𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐆𝐈𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀, 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐀 1992

"What do you seek?"

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐅𝐔𝐋,

as each mistake Maggie would make, Madam Vasilisa would smack her in the back hard with the wooden staff she carried. She did it hard enough to make a bruise and to make a lasting impression to never make the same mistake again, or the best thing that could have happened would be the staff to the back.

Maggie every morning would enter with her guards to the dance room and dance till her toes bleed with the other girls, including the redhead. The girl she would come to learn after being given a small break, was named Natalia and she, like Maggie, only knew of the place called the Red room.

Both girls had in the short months grown close, as it seemed they were the only two who had similar personalities. Being stubborn and too sarcastic for their own good, which would end with them being punished by the staff. They bonded over this, but sadly for Maggie the only time she would see her friend would be in the dance classes as she was confined to either her room or the solo training sessions with Malina. Who by now was teaching the young girl how to mantle and dismantle different types of guns, how to speak Russian, and the start of hand to hand combat.

For Maggie it was both a somber and peaceful routine she had, waking up and dressing for her dance class, then coming back to dress in her training gear which consisted of a shirt and tactical pants, then wait for Malina to come to her room for the rest of her training. For months on end this was her routine and it was all the six year old had.

But that routine was changed one day as she danced along with the girls in the studio, she had been in the middle of an assembly. Her hands poised precisely in the air as she jumped softly into the air from fifth position along with Natalia, both girls the image of perfection as they danced. They danced in rhythm to the tapping of the staff and the piano playing; they had been doing the basic routines for months till Madam Vasilisa deemed them perfect.

"Again." she ordered when they stopped, her staff banging harshly against the cold wood of the floor.

Maggie along with the other girls, started again to dance the routine. She posed her body well, bending and dipping, jumping and twirling when the rhythm of the music demanded of her to perform. She could feel sweat gathering at the temple, her legs burning from having done this for hours, her toes numb from being on them, and her arms aching from being in position.

Her breathing in shallow pants, and her mind jagged as she tried to keep all thoughts from entering as she knew overthinking would lead to a mistake and to a punishment. Her mind was a blank slate as she danced, her limbs moving like water as she did. A vision of perfection.

The music came to a halt when three men entered the room, Madam Vasilisa with a wave of her hand halted the dancing and the music. The leader of the men walked forward till he stood in the center of the room, Maggie could see he was a tall man with balding grey hair and watery green eyes. Lines of age were evident on his face and he wore a fine tailored suit, he gave an air of being superior to everyone as evident by the permanent smirk he had on his thin lips.

"Director Dreykov, what pleasure is it that brings you here?" Madam Vasilisa said with a sharp smile, like a blade.

The man gave a cold smile to the older woman, his cold green eyes looking over the girls with calculation as he did. Maggie noticed he had a toothpick in his mouth, it twirled ever so often.

"I have a mission that is to be enacted soon, and I am in need of three girls for it." he said, his voice like smoke in her ears.

Madam Vasilisa stood tall, a proud and pleased look on her pinched face. "Well, then," she said. "May I suggest my best-"

But he cut her off, "I will take two of the best of this class, I already have my third one." he said dismissively.

"Very well," she said. Her eyes like steel looked over to where Maggie and Natalia stood along with the other girls in a perfect row. Maggie had grown used to the cold glare of the older woman, but what she hadn't gotten used to was her standing so close to her. From where she stood she could smell the medicinal-like perfume she wore on her, it was enough to make Maggie breath lightly through her nose.

She slammed her staff hard on the ground, "Vot, Natalia." she commanded.

The redhead moved with grace to stand in front of the man, who looked over her with calculating and expressionless eyes. He stood silent for a moment, before looking up to Madam Vasilisa.

"And she is one of the best in your class."

It wasn't a question but more of a demand, Madam Vasilisa nodded. "Da." she said.

He nodded but more to himself and after staring at Natalia, he was quick to wave her off and she came to stand by Maggie. Her poster, just as stiff as it had been before she had been called.

"Vot, Margaret."

Just like Natalia had done, she walked with as much grace as she had to the taller man. Standing stiffly in front of him, void of any emotion as to not let him have an upper hand on her. That had been one of the lessons Melina had taught her in one of their hand to hand combat lessons.

'Never let the other person know what you are thinking, because if they do then you become predictable.'

So she looked at the very cold man with an emotionless face, as his eyes roamed over her in thought. He was silent as he did so, but his eyes, even hidden behind a pair of tinted shades, showed his pleasure at not only Natalia but Maggie as well.

He too waved her off and she glided back over to Natalia, who gave to her the faintest look of understanding but it was quickly hidden away when Maggie came to stand beside her. The man looked back at Madam Vasilisa, his lips curling in the corners in an almost grin. A cruel grin.

"They will do."

Aᴜᴛʜᴏʀ's Nᴏᴛᴇ-

Hɪ ɢᴜʏs ʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ! I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʀɪɢɴᴀʟ ᴏɴᴇ. Bᴜᴛ I ᴄᴀɴ ᴀssᴜʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴏʀʏ ᴡᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ, I ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴏғ ᴀɴ ɪɴsɪɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ ɪɴ Tʜᴇ Rᴇᴅ Rᴏᴏᴍ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ʟɪᴋᴇ ғᴏʀ Mᴀɢɢɪᴇ ɢʀᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ.

Hᴏᴘᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ!

Rᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ, ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴠᴏᴛᴇ. Oᴠᴇʀᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜ, ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴏʀʏ.

Sᴛᴀʏ sᴀғᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ.