Chapter 31 - Spending His Money

As we enter, Millie and Lester are seated quietly at the table. Lester is reading the paper, and Millie is sipping on a piping hot beverage. I watch as steam rolls off the top of the cup. They both look up at us. "Ahh! There they are. You two sounded like you were getting along good last night." Lester says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes as Millie watches me curiously. I instantly put on my fake smile. "Oh yes, Mitch is hard not to get along with," I answer sincerely.

I sit down at the dining chair and place my napkin on my lap. "What's for breakfast, Father?" Mitch asks as he sits down next to me.

"Avocado toast, eggs, and bacon." He responds with his nose in the paper.

"Yum," I blurt out as I flash a smile to Mille.

"Are you hungry, dear?" she asks.

I start to fidget in my seat. "Famished."

Lester snorts and takes a sip of his coffee.

"When are Michael and Starlah arriving tonight, father?" Mitch asks as he attempts to change the subject.

"They will be here this evening," Lester responds.

"Oh, I didn't know they were coming for the party tomorrow," I chime in.

Lester looks down at me, his glasses falling to the tip of his nose. "Well, of course, he wouldn't miss his brother's engagement party." He snaps.

I clear my throat and pop my knuckles beneath the table. "My mistake," I say quietly while I try to ignore the fact that my blood is boiling from Lester's reaction to my question.

Mitch pats my leg gently under the table. At that moment, I realize I should probably keep the talking to a minimum around Lester.

The staff carries out the trays with our food and sets down a plate for each of us. I inhale my food quickly; It's delicious. Mitch watches me and chuckles. "Do you want them to make you another plate?"

"Yep, keep em coming," I respond jokingly with a mouthful of toast.

With eyes wide, Millie grins as she watches me wolf down my breakfast. "You are blessed to be so trim, dear. I can never get by with that. You don't even look like you have had a child. How do you do it?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I stay pretty active chasing a toddler around. She keeps me on my toes."

"I wished you would have brought her. She is such a beautiful child." She says.

I pause and get a little emotional. "Yes, she is," I respond quietly.

I finish my plate, and the staff brings out another. I inhale it quickly and don't think twice about it.

Mitch clears his throat, "Georgia didn't eat anything since lunch yesterday. So, she's making up for it today."

I begin to giggle. "Oh, dear, no need to make excuses for me. You know I have an appetite. Especially after the workout we had last night." I say as I playfully elbow him.

Millie bites her lip to keep from laughing. Lester smirks and watches as Mitch blushes and fidgets in his chair. I reach over and squeeze his leg. "Aww, isn't he adorable when he's embarrassed?" I ask as I lean over and kiss him on the cheek.

"You two are so adorable," Millie chuckles.

"Aren't we, though?" I ask with a sarcastic undertone.

"Well, I need to get to work. Excuse me." Mitch interrupts.

Lester gets up. "I need to head out, as well."

I call out to Mitch, "Oh, darling, wait. Aren't you going to leave me your credit card so I can spend your money on clothes today?" I ask innocently.