Returning To Work: Continued (Part 11)

As you can see this is a part 2 so that means you have to read part 1 which is the chapter before this.

You asked for this and though it's on the short side I hope you still enjoy it!

***********************************

"I don't see why you're so excited about this," Carter said, brushing out her hair.

Donovan walked into the bathroom.

"Because we haven't been out to dinner in a long time," he said, standing behind Carter and meeting her eyes in the mirror.

"Fine, but I don't understand why that means I have to wear a dress."

Donovan grinned. "Because I think you look beautiful in a dress and I spent the afternoon watching you flirt with another man."

"I was not flirting."

"Carter, you do understand I was watching the entire thing."

Carter tried not to smile but the edge of her mouth curled. She did know that. And she knew that he must have been having a panic attack about it. She knew the instant she reentered the van and his back was too her. Though he could hide his emotions as an agent, he couldn't hide his emotions as a husband.

"A dress it is," Carter said, smiling at him.

Donovan stared at her. In his eyes, she saw a look of relief and happiness. She couldn't blame him, it had been a hard few months and she hadn't been the easiest person to live with. Which was saying a lot since she knew she was tough in normal times.

Donovan wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her shoulder. "There's that smile I love."

Carter dropped her gaze. "I'm sorry I ever lost it."

Gently, Donovan turned her to face him, cupping her face. "Look at me. You have nothing to be sorry for. What you went through was terrible and you are so strong." He kissed her forehead. "I'm happy to have my Carter back."

Carter arched an eyebrow. "Don't think I'm missing that possessive 'my' in that sentence."

Donovan laughed. "You are mine, just like I'm yours."

"Ah, does that mean I can say things like, you belong to me and no one else. I own you. You're mine and only mine."

Even as she threw him a teasing grin, Donovan didn't laugh, completely serious. "I am yours and only yours, Carter. I don't want to belong to anyone else. For better or worse, that's what I promised."

That was it, he was the worst.

"You're too perfect," she said. "You should stop that."

At that, he grinned. "Fine, I'll fart more and you'll regret those words."

Carter burst out laughing. "Like that is possible, you grew up with brothers and alone, you have no control."

"You said you didn't want me to be perfect, you'll get what you want."

Carter shoved him away playfully. "Go get dressed. And don't wear something revealing, you are mine after all."

"Fine, I'll button my shirt all the way up."

Still smiling, Carter fixed her hair and got dressed. When she stepped out of the closet, she held out her arms for Donovan's inspection.

"Is this good enough to make up for my 'flirting' as you called with Tyler this afternoon?"

Donovan eyed her critically and appreciatively. "It does indeed."

"Good." Carter closed the distance between them and buttoned more button of Donovan's shirt. "You're mine, remember?" she teased.