Making It Right

Haha honestly it's so dramatic I don't know what you're going to think of it. I don't even know what to make of it.

Also this is the link between Best Friend Life (parts 1&2) and The Truth Comes Out

***********************************

Harrison tried not to think about the fact that he was seconds away from throwing up. He took a sip of his coffee, trying to tell his body that the nauseous feeling wasn't actually nausea, only nerves. But his nerves made his stomach clench and he had to set his coffee cup back down.

Sitting at a table by the coffee shop window, he could see the whole world passing by. He shouldn't have sat there because it meant he latched onto every face wanting it to be her and not wanting it to be her. He wanted time to speed up while never moving forward. Taking in a breath, he dragged his hand roughly through his hair making it disheveled.

The door to the coffee shop opened and Harrison jerked his head up then froze. Layla walked in. Suddenly, Harrison felt as his palms began to sweat and his heart kicked it up a notch. She crossed over to him and he stood up.

"Do you want something to drink?" he asked before she could lean in and kiss him.

"No, I'm good."

She sat and Harrison took a second longer to follow, part of him wanting to run away. But when she looked up at him, he forced his knees to bend and he sat back down.

Layla watched him and that nauseous feeling doubled. He had to tell her. He had to admit it because he wasn't being fair to her. He could see that now and the truth of it ate at him.

"So," he started but stopped when his voice tightened.

He ran a hand through his hair again and didn't want to picture how crazy he might look right then.

"Here's the thing-"

Layla held up her hand, her face sober. "It's Kennedy, isn't it?"

"What?" Harrison said. "It's...No...I...

Layla pressed her lips together but nodded. "You said you were friends and had been since you were little. I thought that meant you might have already thought about dating but realized you didn't have feelings for each other." She looked at him and Harrison felt about an inch tall at seeing her eyes turn glassy. "But there's something the two of you have that you and I have never had."

"Layla, I'm sorry. I-"

"Did you always known you were in love with her or is it new?"

"I didn't think I was. I only thought she was my best friend and that's how everyone felt about their best friend. But lately..."

"It's changed."

Harrison nodded and found he couldn't look at her. He cared for her, a lot. She was kind, funny, and beautiful. She deserved someone who wasn't in love with someone else. She deserved a lot better than him.

"Can you do me a favor?" she asked.

"Anything," Harrison said, needing to somehow make up for hurting her.

"Can you not give me some speech you planned?"

Harrison could feel everything he'd planned to say about how amazing she was and he was an idiot halt in his head.

"Okay."

Layla stood but paused. "Also if you could not talk to me for awhile. I really liked you and I..." She swallowed and Harrison felt like a jerk when he heard that catch in her throat. "I need space."