Shutting Out (Part 1)

You're not going to like this but I think it adds depth to their relationship. Also I like making you emotionally distressed.

***********************************

"Hold still," the medic said.

Carter kept her chin raised, trying to remain immobile but she felt herself shaking. She could still see the man's eyes, the desperation in them. Could feel the knife as it cut her skin. Any closer and she wouldn't be sitting there on the exam table.

"How does that feel?" the medic asked.

Carter touched the bandage on her neck.

"Good," she said.

"It wasn't deep so it should heal up in the next week."

It was barely a graze but it didn't matter, Carter could feel the harsh bite of cold metal.

The door to the exam room opened and Donovan hurried inside. His face was a storm of fear and worry, all of it rushing towards Carter. She couldn't do this. Not now. Not here.

She knotted her finger together so he wouldn't see them trembling.

"Brock told me," Donovan said, looking to her neck.

No. She couldn't do this. His concern threatened to tip her over the edge.

"I'm fine, Donovan," Carter said, pleased that her voice came out steady, almost indifferent. "It was barely a scratch."

Donovan took a step forward as the medic busied herself.

"Carter, it was your first major altercation with an assailant," Donovan said.

Carter forced a laugh. "Yeah, but it's not my first fight."

It was true and false. She'd been in fights but not ones like this. Not ones where it was life or death.

"I'm fine. You can stop hovering."

Donovan backed away. She needed him to leave. She needed to not see his worry for her. She couldn't let herself appear weak, not in the office. Not when she'd only been on the job for two months.

Donovan nodded. "Of course, you're fine."

When he left, Carter let out a low, shaky breath.

"Am I done here?" she asked the medic.

"You're all set."

Carter quickly left the medic wing and made her way back to her desk. As she left the elevator on the eleventh floor, Brock caught up to her.

"Hey," he said. "I want to check in and see how you're doing."

"I'm fine. It was a scratch."

Carter wished the Keller brothers would leave her alone. She wasn't weak, she could handle an altercation. Did they think that she couldn't?

Brock put his hand on Carter's shoulder turning her towards him.

"I'm not asking as the brother to your boyfriend. I'm asking as the leader of the team your on."

Carter settled a bit at that. But she still wasn't going to admit to anything. She did not needed to be coddled.

"I'm fine," she said. "I was about to write up my report on the incident."

"Good," Brock said. "We managed to retrieve the man's phone and tomorrow I'm going to have you track all the numbers on his call list."

"Sounds good."