Elevator

Because I like thinking of random situations and then making others have to deal with it.

***********************************

Mason let out a frustrated growl and dragged his hands through his hair. A ghost, that was what he was trying to catch and for weeks now he'd failed to catch it. Resting his hands on his head, he stared at the computer screen and the coded language that felt as easy to read as a book but far more interesting. In the story, he saw someone daring and cunning but elusive.

If it hadn't been his job to find this hacker, Mason would have admired him or her.

But no, he had to find this ghost.

With another frustrated breath, Mason glanced at the time and realized how late it was. He looked to the windows and saw the storm lashing about outside. Mason rubbed his eyes, blinked the fatigue from them, and proceeded to do his routine shut down.

Once finished, he stood, pulled his suit jacket off the back of his chair, and left his office. The building lay predominately silent, only a few other agents putting in the late hours. At the elevators, Mason stretched and rolled his neck. He needed sleep. He needed food. He needed to figure out the solution to his problem.

"What are you doing here so late?" Carter asked, joining him.

"I steal supplies from the storage room at night," Mason answered without looking at her.

"Still haven't caught your ghost?"

"Still obnoxious as ever?"

"Only when in the presence of failure."

"How do you stand your own existence then?"

"I avoid mirrors."

"Why? Because they crack when you look in them?"

"No, I often find you looking into them."

The elevator doors dinged and opened. The pair stepped on, claiming opposite sides. Mason leaned against the wall, tired from the endless hours of sitting and staring at a screen. He needed to work out. He needed to push his muscles to trigger the ones in his brain. He glanced at his watch. Maybe he could fit in a workout after he ate something.

"Only a man wearing a Rolex would steal supplies from the storage room," Carter said.

"How do you think I got the Rolex? Printer ink is in high demand on the black market."

Carter chuckled softly and Mason eyed her suspiciously. She scowled and shook her head.

"It's late and I've been up for twenty-eight hours," she said.

Mason nodded. That made more sense.

The elevator jerked to a halt and Mason stumbled, colliding with the wall. He swore and clutched his head as he righted himself. He looked around and found that the main lights were off and only the dim emergency lights remained on. Carter climbed to her feet and pressed the emergency call button.

Only static answered.

Mason gripped the handrail.

Only static, which meant that it was still working just someone had stepped away for a second. That was fine. The call system still worked. It was fine.

"Must be because of the storm," she murmured. "I heard blackouts have been happening all over the city."

Mason heard this but only in a distant way, a strange rushing noise blocking his ears. He leaned against the elevator. He was completely at ease. Being trapped in an elevator was not a big deal. It happened from time to time. It would be handled soon. He was fine. His heart rate only picked up because he'd been startled that was all.