The Unstoppable Couple

Not as ridiculous as the last mission but pretty darn close! Have fun! I know I did! ☺️

***********************************

Voices filled the lavish ballroom, swirling around the crystal chandeliers and tugging on ears. Classical music swam through the clusters of finely dressed men and women, all showcasing their wealth in jewelry, golden watches, and haughty expressions. The air of arrogant self-worth was thick enough to choke on, but that was a discomfort that could be solved with a glass of Cristal champagne.

Waiters all formed from the same mold: black slacks, white button-down shirts, and charcoal vests navigated the throng of elite partygoers. The contents of their trays were snatched away without a thought to the one who carried it. They were the metaphorical flies on the wall, seeing and hearing everything.

As one of the clones of the service industry passed Carter, she stole a glass of champagne. The drink wet her lips and in return, she left her lipstick imprinted on the glass rim. Despite the crowd, she glided through the room with ease. As she walked, eyes became glued to her, words left hanging from their lips. It was a result she had anticipated but nonetheless was annoyed with.

With each step, lengths of her leg were exposed from the slit that rose to her thigh. The strapless red dress didn't get any better from there. It hugged her curves, leaving nothing to the imagination. Her brown hair had been manufactured into loose curls that hung about her shoulders, giving off a wild look.

"Carter, your target is by the ugly painting at the northwest wall," Mason said in her ear. "If that dress doesn't distract him from your thinly veiled lethal personality then we will have to think of a different method.

Carter brought the champagne flute to her lips but didn't drink, instead, using it as a shield.

"Shut up, Mason," she said.

She could hear the faint clicking of keys in her ear.

"Fine, but we should be ready if we have to move to Plan B if you scare him off."

"Just because you're terrified of me doesn't mean everyone else is," Carter said, cutting a smooth path towards her designated spot.

Mason made a derisive snort. Before he could contradict her, Donovan spoke.

"Stay focused. Carter will be fine."

Carter kept herself from gazing around, trying to catch a glimpse of Donovan. Seeing her target, she forced all thought of Donovan from her mind. Easing past a huddle of glittering women, she stopped before a large impressionist painting. Though the man she was there for was a few feet away, she didn't look at him, instead giving all her attention to the captivating blend of light, shadows, and color.

She didn't have to wait long before she registered a presence beside her. Pretending she didn't notice, she cocked her head, feigning deep concentration.

"You are an admirer of impressionism?" a deep, curious voice said.

Carter started and placed a hand on her chest as she spun towards her companion.

"You startled me," she said, putting on a light, polished voice.

The men next to her was a head taller, in his late forties with thick raven hair, coffee colored eyes, a narrow but handsome face and wearing an ebony suit that was tailored to his lean body. He bowed his head in apology.

"I am sorry," he said. "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Edward Saville."

Smiling, Carter accepted his offered hand.