Winter Formal

As requested. Enjoy!

***********************************

"Your grandmother Maggie taught me how to do this," Carter said, twisting Kennedy's hair up into a french knot.

Kennedy stared at her mother in the mirror's reflection. "Really?"

The pair were in the master bathroom, stationed before the vanity mirror. Bouncy music played quietly from Kennedy's phone adding an atmosphere of excitement to the occasion. Carter smiled as she grabbed pins and secured the french twist.

"She did," Carter said. "I didn't know how to do anything with my hair until I was out of college. Up until that point, it was a ponytail or a tangled mess, there wasn't much in between."

Kennedy sobered, dropping her gaze away from her mother. "Because your mother left when you were fourteen?"

Carter paused for a fraction of a second as dusty memories were pulled out.

"Yes, because of that." Retrieving her smile, Carter patted Kennedy's hair. "All done! How does it feel?"

Kennedy tossed her head about, feeling the security of the up-do. "Like I could take on a pack of assailants and it would still be fine."

Carter laughed. "Good. Now, makeup or no makeup?"

Kennedy locked eyes with her mother and scrunched up her face, uncertain.

"I don't know. You don't wear makeup," she said. "But do you think it would make me look prettier?"

Carter wrapped her arms around Kennedy's shoulders and pressed her cheek to hers, holding her gaze in the mirror. "You are beautiful just the way you are."

Smiling, Kennedy rolled her eyes. "You're my mother, that's what you have to say."

Laughing, Carter kissed her daughter's cheek. "Nope, I say that cause you have your father's amazing cheekbones and my chin and eyes. I'm merely backhandedly complimenting your parentage."

Kennedy shook her head. "Well I think the eyes you gave me would be enhanced by eyeliner, so let's go with that."

"Sounds good." Carter opened a drawer and found what she needed then crouched before her daughter. "Close your eyes."

Kennedy did as instructed. "How do you have such a steady hand? I've tried this before and I shake so much."

"Well, you defuse a bomb once and it gives you a steady hand like you would never know."

Kennedy's eyes flew open. "You defused a bomb!"

"Eyes closed, this is delicate work."

"Yeah, the fate of the world lays on your steady hand now, not when you defused a bomb!"

Carter chuckled and finished off her task. "Look at me."

Kennedy blinked and held herself from looking at her reflection so her mother would have the chance to observe her handy work.

"You're right, this totally does enhance the eyes I gave you."

Amused, Kennedy swiveled to the mirror, inspecting the result. As Kennedy was about to comment on her appearance, she heard a series of knocks on the front door and her father say something. Panicked, she jumped from her seat.

"I have to get dressed," she said.

"What's the rush, your father will keep Aaron entertained," Carter said.