It Happened One Day (Part 9)

This wraps up the previous 6 chapters starting from When Disaster Strikes to Undercover.

If you want to know who some of these new characters are I suggest reading It Happened One Night first. It's a novella and you'll blast through it.

***********************************

A strand of hair fell from Carter's hold and she swept it back up. But as she went to wrap the hairband around her hair, she found the task difficult with her hands shaking. She swallowed but the trembling didn't stop and more strands fell loose from her grasp. Before she could lose all control of her hair, Donovan stepped up behind her and took over.

Part of Carter didn't want to relinquish the task to him, all too aware of the last time he'd had to do it for her, when she wasn't even conscious enough to do it. She looked at him in the mirror as he deftly brushed her hair into place and tied it back. It hadn't been a skill he needed to learn, but had been forced to when she was trapped in shock from being tortured.

"Thank you," she whispered, clenching her hands in her lap, willing the tremors to stop.

Donovan kissed the side of her face, smiling.

"I think I do a better job than you do."

His teasing pulled a smile from Carter, even as her fingers remained in tight knots.

"I have something for you," he said.

Before Carter could ask what, Donovan left the bathroom and returned a second later, holding a black, velvet box. Kneeling before her, he held it out.

"If I didn't know any better I would think you were proposing," she said, her surprise at the gift helping her forget her nerves for a moment.

"I would, but I think my wife might have a problem with that."

"She would."

Donovan grinned and held the box out. Uncertain, Carter took it and opened the lid. Inside, sitting on a velvet cushion was a single diamond necklace. Carter looked from the gift to Donovan. Before she could say anything, Donovan cut in.

"Yes, I know you don't wear jewelry. But when I first met you, you wore a pendent necklace." He raised his hand, again stalling Carter's words. "Yes, I know it's cause it was imbedded with a tracker. But you made an exception to your 'no jewelry' rule for that necklace, I figured you could do the same for this one."

"Why? Is it imbedded with a tracker as well?"

Donovan laughed and it did more for Carter's nerves than anything else. She hadn't heard the sound in a long time. The pain he had seen her in had stolen it, but hearing it right then she felt that they could get back to who they were.

"No," Donovan said. "It doesn't have a tracker in it." He lifted the necklace from the box and unclasped it. "It's a reminder that you are strong and beautiful and can cut through anything."

He reached forward and clasped the necklace around her neck. Carter touched the single diamond, wanting to cry. Not because she was loved but because the man she loved still saw her as strong.

Carter kissed Donovan, even as tears trailed down her cheeks. When she pulled back, Donovan brushed the tears away.

"Today your testimony against the Castello family is going to put them behind bars forever. And I'm going to be right there with you every second."

"I know you will."

Carter kissed him again, drawing strength from him. A knock sounded on the hotel room door, breaking them apart. As Donovan went to see who was there, Carter finished getting ready.