Like Father Like Daughter

*walks up to my past-self where I stand with face pressed against a wall, hands over ears, shouting 'lalalala' and taps her shoulder*

Past self: Please tell me we held out for at least a day.

Present self: *shakes head* We didn't even make it five minutes.

Past self: Sometimes I hate us.

Present self: I know. We have no control. Let's just get this over with.

(If you missed the choas the Babysitting chapter then you'll find the above confusing. Don't stress. Just read. To everyone else. I HATE YOU!)

***********************************

Sophia decided to blame her father. This was not an original thought. If fact a majority of her troubles she found could find their origins in being her father's daughter. This particle blame felt the most warranted since it was his blonde hair and features she'd inherited.

True, the blame for her thick eyelashes, big brown eyes, and warm skin tone should be put on her mother. But her mother was the type of caring person you couldn't put blame on without feeling a certain degree of guilt. Sophia had no such feeling when blaming her father.

It's why at that moment she didn't feel guilt for blaming her father. After all, his hereditary traits were the reason Sophia's quiet lunch was being disturbed by a boy sitting down beside her.

"If I say no now," Sophia said, evenly. "Will that stop this conversation from having to take place?"

The boy placed his elbow on the table, shifting his body sideways to put himself more in her line of sight. It was unnecessary, his looks had no bearing on the matter and wouldn't change her answer.

"You don't even know what I'm going to say," he said.

"I have a strong inclination and even if I'm incorrect I'm willing to risk it for the sake of you leaving me alone."

Sophie flipped from the word game she currently played with her father to the chess match they were in. She inwardly smiled. He loved to use that sequence of moves, which made him predictable.

"You won't even let me say it?" the boy asked.

"Since I haven't been able to make you leave as of yet, I highly doubt I'll be able to stop you from saying it."

"You know you aren't helping your cause of trying to get rid of me since you're so cute when you're annoyed."

Sophia turned the full force of her displeasure on him with a single look.

"I don't understand how you think that statement would make me inclined to continue talking to you."

The boy grinned but she didn't understand what was so amusing.

"Why are you still here?" she said. "I find your entire personality rather irritating."

"I still don't have your number."

"That sounds like it's from a deficiency on your part."

When Sophia turned back to her phone, the boy eventually stood but didn't leave her table.

"You know it took bravery to come talk to you," he said.

"Then you should have used that bravery for something you'd have had better results in like rock climbing."

"Rock climbing?" the boy asked.

"Yes. The results would be improved physical strength and a sense of accomplishment. I highly doubt you feel the latter at the moment."