Hooky Day Reflection

This is related to the chapter Playing Hooky. Just the flip side.

***********************************

Donovan rested against the bathroom wall feeling a sense of dread, though he let none of his emotion show on his face. Link leaned towards the bathroom mirror, fastidiously fixing his hair.

In the last couple of months, he'd hit a growth spurt and the oversized uniform now fit his fifteen-year-old body better. The height change had given Link a boost of confidence, one Donovan didn't feel.

Link pulled back and inspected himself then frowned.

"I don't know," he said.

Donovan moved forward, though he knew it wouldn't make a difference he wanted to help. In the reflection the contrast between them both was clear. Donovan knew it wouldn't matter what Link did, height wouldn't change the fact that Donovan's entire image was meant to draw attention away from Link. But still...

"Turn around," Donovan said.

Link did, looking uncertain.

"Take off your blazer," Donovan said.

Link did as instructed and Donovan stuffed it into Link's backpack, making sure it hung out. It gave the blazer an air of careless rebelling, not that Link was a rebel but maybe it would help. Donovan then loosened Link's school tie, unbuttoned the top button, and roughly rolled up his shirt sleeves.

"Tuck in your shirt more to take away the excess material," Donovan said.

Again, Link did as he was told. The end result was a naturally careless appearance. With Link's messy hair the image wasn't entirely a lost cause.

"Not bad," Donovan said.

Quickly, Link spun around to get a view of himself. He nodded, pleased with the rebel-type vibe his messed up uniform gave off, even if his boyish features contradicted the truth of his appearance.

"Okay," Link said. "Let's go."

Link picked up his backpack and hoisted it onto his shoulders. Donovan instantly tugged at one of the straps and Link unhooked one arm, leaving the bag dangling from one shoulder. Donovan nodded and Link perked up, encouraged. Donovan still couldn't match Link's hope. He'd interacted with Lexi Cummings before and he had little hope that Link's improved look would make a difference.

They left the bathroom and cut through the hallways to the library where their study group already sat ready. Link slowed as he took in the table's occupants.

Lexi sat at the head, casually scrolling through her phone. Honey blonde curls effortlessly cascaded over her shoulders, her beautiful face highlighted by natural-looking makeup, and her uniform perfectly fitting her slim frame. Link swallowed and stopped walking altogether, his confidence from his bathroom transformation seemingly disappearing at the sight of Lexi.

"Breathe," Donovan said under his breath, nudging Link forward.

Link shuffled forward counteracting all the work on his new look. Donovan directed Link to a seat adjacent to Lexi and took the spot beside him, nodding to their other two team members. Lexi raised her gaze from her phone, glanced at Link, and quickly skimmed over him setting her eyes on Donovan.

Donovan felt his heart sink in his chest at the disregard for Link. He could sense Link's disappointment emanating from him.

"Good you're here," Lexi said, offering a warm, inviting smile. "Let's get started. I don't want to fail this test."

Donovan didn't hold her gaze, instead drew out his notebook and pencil. He avoided Lexi's bright blue eyes, acting as if all he could see was his open notes.